What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nice evolution controversy article

I'd like to hear an example of a stable, safe/secure-feeling, harmonious society that has no problems with rap.

And an example of a rap victim who felt it wasn't harmful.

(And I wish the profanity filter didn't make these posts so unintentionally comical.)

What is rap?  I thought at first it was r-a-p-e but the profanity filter changes that to violent act.  I tried some other words but they don't become rap either.  I'd hate to think the profanity filter's vocabulary is larger than mine.  By the way, what a sick and twisted society we live in where the word r-a-p-e must be hidden from view but it's fine to say murder.  Or that a movie dripping blood and guts is PG-13 but a little talk of sex makes it R.

Anyway, I'd like to know what's being changed to "rap" because someone asked, "So why does rap go against our concience?  Surely it doesn't harm society - it actually creates more offspring...  Elephants and gorrilllas don't think its wrong.  Why do we?"  That can't be referring to r-a-p-e.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So why does rap go against our concience? Surely it doesn't harm society - it actually creates more offspring... Elephants and gorrilllas don't think its wrong. Why do we?
umm... I think they do... I don't have a source but i'm pretty sure they do. At least within their little groups. would you happen to have a source? i'll look tomorrow...
anyway, it does harm society by messing up with families (my kid? the raper's kid?) and just the mere fact that neither the victim nor the family/friends of the victim like it means that society frowns upon it.
The next question might be why we make families. Well, for one we're social animals that like being in groups, and our family is an obvious group we're born into, and secondly families are *cough* supposedly *cough* tighter than the groups we might make with other people, and so it's for protection and stuff. When humans were first evolving, i'm guessing the only groups of humans were families. Then different families began getting together, etc. Now you can't go anywhere without seeing humans :-/... but that's beside the point.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What is rap? I thought at first it was r-a-p-e but the profanity filter changes that to violent act.
I'm guessing since "violent act" isn't very descriptive, they decided to substitute "violent act" with "rap" because it's pretty obvious what "rap" is supposed to mean.
but you're right... I don't get why rap.e is "profanity"

ok, so grape is bad for society. And families are good for society. It has to do with our emotional health. These emotions are hardly utilitarian - if we didn't feel the need for families we could reproduce more efficiently... So why does our concience go against the utilitarianism seen in animal society?

Peter

Safety in numbers... the losses prevented by having protective groups you're bonded with far outnumber the births gained through these "violent acts", I would think.

I am not sure I would like epar (rap e spelled backward). A willing and complient partner is more fun than one trying to scratch your eyes out. Anyway I look at it, epar is wrong. To force yourself on a female who is not into "having a good time" is selfish and self centered, and creates its own share of problems. If she has friends, you just may find out why murder is not a good deal for anyone. You are dead, and she is traumitized. Bad move.
And, the origin of life (creationism-whoever did it-IS far removed from evolution!) is up to the belief system of the individual. Native American stories of the beginning of life is as good as anything else I have heard. I believe that life started long ago, and today, President Bush is trying to end a lot of peoples lives. A sort of "accidental genocide". However, that aside, Alpha will never convince me about the evolution side of things. Any story I hear that is "scientifically proven" brings on an immediate suspicion on my part. Man thinks he is so smart, but Nature is smarter, and we may never know the full story. Rubra, have a good time being gang epared!!

Can Humans hybridize? Like cross species? (I am serious) I guess I am not up to par on my 101 Ape sex facts.

I just wondered since alot organisms can hybridize at least with help.

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ Sep. 05 2005,2:59)]Can Humans hybridize? Like cross species? (I am serious) I guess I am not up to par on my 101 Ape sex facts.

I just wondered since alot organisms can hybridize at least with help.

Joe
well why not? There are kids out there who have a black and white parents right? And there are kids who have a chinese and english parents right? So Id say its possible
But all humans nowdays are descended from Homo sapiens, this species moved across the world and they evolved seperatly

But we're all the same species, no matter what our skin color is.  I'm no molecular biologist but I've read there's more genetic variation within blacks and whites and browns and yellows and whatever than between them.  There's been some separate evolution, but no speciation yet.  Not as the word is commonly used for animals.

As for r-a-p-e, humans are far more successful as a cooperative society and r-a-p-e has no place in that.  A gay man told me he thought all high school boys should be sent alone into a hard-core gay bar at least once.  After spending a few hours being hit on without mercy, they'd treat women better.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Can Humans hybridize? Like cross species? (I am serious) I guess I am not up to par on my 101 Ape sex facts.
some say that there has been a human/chimp hybrid. I think it was a circus chimp that was extremely smart and walked on two legs or something... but I doubt it's true.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]These emotions are hardly utilitarian - if we didn't feel the need for families we could reproduce more efficiently
If we didn't feel a need for family, there would be no society. Lone humans would have to work MUCH harder to survive, and many more would die.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Any story I hear that is "scientifically proven" brings on an immediate suspicion on my part.
well, like I said I used that term loosely. I know that it's impossible to "scientifically prove" anything. You can't prove you're not a brain in a jar being fed electrical impulses as part of some kind of creepy experiment.
What I meant by "scientifically proven" is that evolution has been proven as much as gravity and almost anything else in science has been proven.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]To force yourself on a female who is not into "having a good time" is selfish and self centered, and creates its own share of problems
remember, guys are rap.ed too :p
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Alpha will never convince me about the evolution side of things
Why?

Because I have my very own brain, and think my own thoughts, and will believe just what I want to believe, just like you, Alpha. I do love your passion ands arguments though. Very stimulating. Rubra, nothing personal about the gang epar comment. Just funnin".

One thing is having your own brain and another is not being able to be convinced of something for which there is a mountain of evidence and has actually been observed.
so I ask again, why? Surely you must be rationalizing not believing somehow?
I mean... I'm just wondering you know? I don't get it.

Alpha, mi amigo, you don't have to know. Private thoughts are private thoughts, and I intend to keep them that way. I would not intrude on your beliefs, and haven't, so just give me my own. If I think something is missing, that is my privelege. But, you keep spreading what you believe, and I will continue to read it, whether I believe it or not. OK?? Ya never know, you may be the one to finally convince me, but I feel something is missing, even if I am not sure what it is.

lol... I had no idea it was so personal!
ok, then.
you can ask about my beliefs though.... if I haven't told you already... LOL

Dog breeds have more differences between them than human races at this point, and they're all the same species. What's the animal equivalent of a "cultivar"?

And I'm sure humans could have just as much variety if their breeding had been guided as diligently as dog breeds have been... but we can't seem to handle the responsibility of the piddly amount of variation we have now. The main reason our variation stayed intact for so long is geographical distance, really. People tend to find ways to mate if they can reach each other... afternoon talk shows are proof of that.
smile.gif

I'm not saying we need more variety, but it would have thrown another wrench into the religious perspective of humanity. Whether it's like that now or not, the fact that it was completely possible means its implications need to be considered.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Safety in numbers... the losses prevented by having protective groups you're bonded with far outnumber the births gained through these "violent acts", I would think.

Sounds right. Makes me wonder why in other topics we have discussed the idea of a family wasn't that important.

On the subject variety, I'm sure we'll see a lot more of that the day fashion becomes unfashionable
smile_m_32.gif

Peter

Just thought you might like to know that there's a Daily Show special on evolution all this week so at least the real facts will be coming out soon.

~ Brett

Back