What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next step from Normal Fluorescents

i use the cheapest fixtures combined with the cheapest bulbs i can find..........im having good luck with ~$8 fixtures and ~$1 bulbs, good enough that i dont want to change

Where do you get your 8$ fixtures?

Home Depot........i use T8 fixtures

rattler_mt – I use T8 fixtures too, but when I was looking for strip lights at Home Depot that use two T8 bulbs I didn’t see any in the $8 price range – more like $20+. Maybe you use the 24” single light strip lights and time them together, or maybe I missed them?

Joe,

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I use cool white, because it is easier for me to look at the plants with those, rather than any other I've tried, and I can get them cheaper than $1 each.

What other bulbs have you tried and what plants did you grow under them?

Also, where do you go to get the bulbs for < $1/ea? At HD, they're ~ $2/ea.

Thanks

Rattler,

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i use the cheapest fixtures combined with the cheapest bulbs i can find..........im having good luck with ~$8 fixtures and ~$1 bulbs, good enough that i dont want to change

I also use the $8 fixtures from HD. Some say they don't last long but I've had some for 2-3 years and they're still reliable.

T8s are becoming cheaper and cheaper so perhaps in the near future I'll switch to them despite what type of fluorescent tube I use (cool white, daylight, sunlight, etc.). I tt would save me ~380W worth of electricity per month. With electricity costing as much as it does now, that would save me lots (at least $20-30/month).

Ken

im using the 2 bulb 48 inch T8 fixtures. IIRC i paid $7.97 apeice the last time i bought them. ive had varying life on them............some last 10 months, some have lasted over 3 years.

the last time i bought bulbs at HD i think it was a case of 20 for $19 and change, cool whites. they dont always seem to have them in stock so i buy them when i see them.

I’ll have to head back to HD again this weekend, thanks!

LOWES is a good place to buy these fixtures too. I just bought an electronic balist fixture that can use T8 or T12 bulbs from lowes for not much. It was around 18 or so. My brother in law recommended not getting the cheap fixture because he have seen them blow their ballist on the first fireup. I may have paid around 20 for the fixture I am getting ready tp put in my GH, but regardless it wasn't that expencive. I hope to get it put in my GH this weekend. It is not for growing purposes, but for lighting my GH at night.

Never forget about lowes. I find them cheaper on most things here. I may not like their Nascar driver, but I like the store. LOL

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Jan. 09 2007,10:44)]im using the 2 bulb 48 inch T8 fixtures. IIRC i paid $7.97 apeice the last time i bought them. ive had varying life on them............some last 10 months, some have lasted over 3 years.

the last time i bought bulbs at HD i think it was a case of 20 for $19 and change, cool whites. they dont always seem to have them in stock so i buy them when i see them.
I use same exact ones. Thumbs up!
I use em for the terrarium and the grow chamber.
I use regular ol' cool white bulbs.
They're the best bang for your buck I'd say...

Back