What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

?newzealand sphagnum moss

Was wondering if the NewZealand Sphagnum Moss (long fiber)
was the same as Canadian Sphagnum long fiber, and if it's good for growing dionaea?

from what ive been told NZ sphag is MUCH better than Canadian. im using NZ i think.....it isnt Canadian but not sure what else it could be.

Rattler

There is also Chilean LFS which I think is a bit redder.

Joe

NZ sphagnum is the cleanest, most beautiful sphagnum moss you can find short of collecting live stuff your self. It is very expensive and I tend to save it for the plants that really do better growing in good LFS.

I grow a couple hundred VFT's at a time and I used to make a fancy mix for them that included LFS. For me, flytraps do best in straight peat. I rinse it well and use it alone for fly traps. I don't think I would wast good LFS on flytraps, they grow great without it...

Steve

Agree with Steve. NZ Sphagnum is significantly better than Canadian (or domestic US -- Wisconsin) Sphagnum. It's also incredibly expensive. I paid $55 or so for a large bale (3 cubic feet or so, I think).

As a result, I use it for my Heliamphora almost exclusively. It doesn't break down, has far fewer sticks and other pokey things, etc.

One drawback? It seems to be filled with some sort of grass or rush seed. I'm always picking weed seedlings out of my pots.

im useing Chilean right now as thats all i can find. sticks and a few leaves are included other than that it seems to be good stuff. not particulary cheap but im only growing Neps, a few Utrics and it gets thrown into some orchid mixes. most all Drosera, Utrics and other stuff are in peat based mixes so i dont go through it that fast. i picked up some coco fiber at an orchid place last weekend and will be experimenting with it before long.

Rattler

Back