What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Thread starter alicia2807
  • Start date
Welcome to the forums
smile_m_32.gif

I know Luis, John and Tanya too we all talk on AIM and MSN
biggrin.gif

Thanks!
I talk to them on MSN...
Nice to meet ya...

It's only a 12 hour car ride to the tepuis from where you live?  It's a 24 hour plane ride from where I live (including a lot of waiting in airports because there's no direct flight), plus a car ride.  Consider yourself lucky.

Welcome, take a look around and make you're self at home.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tropics @ April 05 2005,2:59)]It's only a 12 hour car ride to the tepuis from where you live?  It's a 24 hour plane ride from where I live (including a lot of waiting in airports because there's no direct flight), plus a car ride.  Consider yourself lucky.
You beat me to it, lol.
Twelve freakin hours to see Helis in natural habitat...
"Hmmm Helis...droooool"
I don't know where Tropics lives, but Lincoln, NE is close to CP Hell...
Anyhoo, welcome!

Cheers,

Joe

lol... I consider myself very ignorant as I have just recently found out (Thanks to Starman) that Helis are waaaaaaaaaay more rare than I thought them to be...

I saw a bunch of them when I went to what we call la Gran Sabana, which is part of the Amazon forrest, and some of the natives there showed them to us...

I wish I had some real live pictures of the Helis to show you but the natives there do NOT like cameras... so we weren't allowed to bring them whenever they came with us.

As for the twelve hour car ride... lol. I'd rather have to fly 24 hours than take that car ride again. REALLY. If you guys try to get anywhere even REMOTELY near the Amazon forrest in a car, or in a BUS with 40 other teenagers (like I did) you'll probably regret it... wisest choice is flying there...

Tootles!
Alicia
smile_m_32.gif

I grow a clone of H. heterodoxa which originates from Gran Sabana
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Tanya, I take it this is a friend of yours?

No, not personally. She came into AE's TF chatroom several times recently and somebody called her Aliciae.. I forget who. So now it's her nickname. Kinda like your very similar "jimscotscoot" chatroom-typo nickname from a long time ago. You should really come into the TF chat sometime.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]no, I'm not much of a horse lover... I took a big fall when I was little and I've stayed as far away as humanly possible from them ever since.

I've been riding for.. hell, I don't even know.. and I took my first fall a couple months ago. I was riding a big gray mare at a fast lope around a barrel and she swerved suddenly and stopped, and the momentum still left in my body caused me to go forward out of the saddle, go over her right shoulder and somehow hit the ground on my back, knocking the wind out of me. I got up, led her to more level ground and remounted. I *almost* fell two other times, once on her (in which case I sprained my right hand trying to stay on after she took me under low-hanging branches at a fast pace.. this was all before the fall) and once on another horse (my left foot slipped from the stirrup during a right turn at a fast lope and I instinctively bent forward in an attempt to not fall as I slowed the horse, getting jabbed repeatedly in the stomache by the saddle horn in the process). Also on the gray mare, I was loping along a barbed-wire fence and got the end of the leg of my jeans ripped an inch and a half. I'm so proud of that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Twelve freakin hours to see Helis in natural habitat...

Once, during one of these semi-annual trips from here to Massachusetts, we drove for 23 straight hours from here to Pennsylvania, mostly at night (less traffic). I slept none the whole way... I do NOT sleep in the car. Ever. Because I do NOT trust my grandfather's driving. One time I nodded off involuntarily for about 3 seconds, but that was it. I just listen to music, read (in the rare daytime driving hours) and drink Red Bull the whole time when we go on out-of-state road trips (to either South Carolina, North Carolina or Massachusetts, depending on who we're going to see). I'm really used to it, and I'm okay in the car for a while with no stops except bathroom/food stops, but I have a certain sanity limit, and that sanity limit is 12 hours. Every time, without fail, I do fine for the first 12 hours, then for some unintentional reason I near insanity after that 12 hour mark.. I get unimaginably restless, can't get comfortable in any position whatsoever, and I start to retain water like crazy. I don't know why. It's not boredome.. I'm not one of those "normal" teenagers that HAS to be moving ALL THE TIME.. I have a pretty slow metabolism and I'm not FuLL oF eNeRgY like people expect me to be. The insanity just comes for no reason whatsoever. It just happens right after 12 hours. Don't know why.

Tanya, I'll try. Let me know when.

On the horses...
Well I fell when I was really really little, I mean I think I was 5 or so, and the horse suddenly went into a ful gallop, so I kinda slipped off the horse and landed right in front of it... not only did I have to deal with being nearly crushed by a horse, but I also had lots of trouble moving for the next weeks cuz of my back aches... ever since, my mom was too scared to let me ride and now that I can make the choice, I'm too scared to ride again...

On the 12 hour car ride...
I can NOT go more than 9 or 10 hours without being driven crazy. Wether its my lil sister bugging me, my older brother bugging me, or simply bored... I cannot take more than that. This particular car ride I had to deal with being puked on by my best friend near hour 2 (which means I had to stay with my puked on clothes 10 more hours), we got 3 flat tires right in the middle of nowhere and had to wait 6 hours til they got some help, the guy who was driving the bus would play the same song over and over and over and over.... again, AND I found a spider the bigger than my hand inside my backpack (I'm arachnophobic). All in all it wasn't the best trip I've ever had...
But the Gran Saban was soooooooooooooooooo worth it.... you wouldn't believe that place!! You get there, and you're like... speechless, awed, you feel like laughing and crying at the same time... it's mindblowing. The best thing was seeing Angel Falls.... and of course talking to the natives there
biggrin.gif
They even gave me this thing they used to mark their bodies with, as a sign of friendship. It was THE BEST experience ever...

Aliciae
smile_m_32.gif

Oh yeah, after I fell, I also felt like I had been hit by a car for a week. And my grandfather has this impression that if you fall, you're not a good rider, which is BS, because no matter how good you are and how many times you've ridden, you WILL fall eventually. It's inevitable. Horses aren't cars. They're unpredictable.

jimscotscoot, check AE's pinned topic about the TF chat room and see if my post in there says whether or not I'm online. If it says online, I should be in there, unless I got off at some point and forgot to edit the post, and vice-versa.

Back