What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie with some questions...

Hi all. I've been crazy for VFTs since I was a little kid. My mom would buy some, I'd basically torture it for a week, not knowing proper care, then it would die. I'm a bit wiser, so I think, and would like to begin seriously growing. I've recently purchased 6 typical plants and 5 of the 'big mouth' variety. The typicals are doing OK but desperately need a better light source and the 'big mouth' guys will be in transit. So far I've read, and completely agree that outdoor growing is the best way to properly grow VFTs although I know many have had great success with indoor growing. However, I'm still timid to do so for several reasons. First, I live in the Buffalo vicinity by Lake Erie. Our recent weather has been optimal for VFT growing (high humidity, full sun, 85-90 degree weather) but I'm worried about some t-storms in the area producing high winds. Has anyone had trouble with a blown over collection or plants that have been flooded to death? Second, I love the neighborhood's kids like crazy, and with one of my own... a curious little 1.5 year old, there's going to be high traffic in my yard at times. Of course I'll give them a little lesson on what kind of plants they are and how to properly let them grow undisturbed but knowing how I was as a kid I'd have those suckers ripped up in a heart beat eating up my GI Joe figs. These are a few factors that I know would be avoided by growing indoors but I want to grow these to their full potential (a sungrown 'big mouth' is absolutely breathtaking). Does anyone have pics of an enclosure or elevated growing system they use? OK, I'm getting longwinded. Thanks in advance and I'm very excited about finally getting serious about this.

You can grow your plants under fluorescents inside as long as you place the fluorescents within an inch or two from the VFT. The only thing you will need to remember about growing indoors is that they will need dormancy yearly. Good luck and happy growing.

I got these in this past week.
DCP01176.JPG

I got these a month ago.
DCP01172.JPG

DCP01173.JPG

I have more pics at http://www.outrageousatv.com/vft They are greener than this crappy camera makes them look.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lord Humungus @ June 27 2005,10:03)]I got these in this past week.
DCP01176.JPG

I got these a month ago.
DCP01172.JPG

DCP01173.JPG

I have more pics at http://www.outrageousatv.com They are greener than this crappy camera makes them look.
You might want to move the grow lights a little closer as your VFTs look like they are sending up tall leaves trying to reach the light source. Other than that, your VFTs look very healthy.
Dewy

That tall reaching growth is why I bought the lights. I'm starting to see brighter colors and less reaching. Hopefully this change will continue.

OK, now I see how the new leaves are becoming more compact. Thanks for bringing this up to me.
dewy

scupbucket if you grow in a terrarium the kids can marvel at your plants and they wont mess with them either.I suppose they still could just take the lid off and still get to em but just make sure they get the idea that they shouldnt be touched.

I too have had pretty good luck growing VFTs in terraria. Although I grow them individually in separate pots instead of the bog garden from dewy's posts. This year, I had good coloration and trap size with my 'green dragon' (which has a lot of red). Frankly though, they do better outside, and feed themselves mostly
smile_n_32.gif

I just noticed that the link was wrong. Try http://www.outrageousatv.com/vft

Aslo StifflerMichael, The 2 lower pics are individual pots filled in with rocks to look like a bog. The top pic is all sphagnum with some perlite.

Hi Scupbucket and welcome to the forums! VFT's do best when outside. They need lotsa sunlight.

You're fom WNY?! I lived in Buffalo for ~20 years. Go Bills! It sounds ad if you are near Fredonia or Dunkirk. Welcome aboard!

Thanks for all the good info folks. I can tell I found a good spot to discuss VFTs. I think I'm going ot try to grow outdoors but not cancel the idea of indoor growing if the ourdoor route fails. I really like Humungus's indoor bog as I'll probably become more interested in different species down the road and it would actually look nice in my house. Jimscott, yep I'm about 20 min. north of Fredonia in Derby and like I said before it would be a sin to not put these guys (properly named Gene, Ace, and Paul... Peter coming soon) outdoors as the weather has been incredible for growing. Has anyone tried rigging something like a hood or small shelter to avoid flooding the pots out during heavy raining?

I've been to Derby numerous times. There used to be a pet shop called Custom Aquarium there.

One thing I do to shield the plants during a deluge is to put them up against the building. There are also shrubs that partially block the heavy rain.

Good advice. I set the typicals outside last night. Go figure... once I set them outside it's been overcast but I figure that'll give them some time to get used to the outdoors and not burn up. For some protection I took out the bottom panel of an old small animal cage and set them elevated (in case of heavy rain) in a water tray. For protection against heavy raindrops I just placed a screen over top. When the big mouths show up I'm going to grow 2 out and 3 inside and do some comparing. I'd like to get some photos up soon. Awesome site.

Plastic screening would be a preferable choice over a metal one, as it is possible for the metal to get into the plants. Other that, good job!

What is platic??? Is this a new form of light reflecting  plastic?
I got to get some..Hehe
What method of hardening off works good I have some under a 400w MH but they are some distance away 3 to 4 feet from the bulb. They may do better outside. No
Thanks for any info Stephen

Thanks for the advice about the screen. It is a metal screen but with a plastic coating so I'm not sure what'll happen as far as metal getting into the plants but as a precaution I just might get rid of it and find another means for protection from heavy rain. I must say though, 2 days outside and the traps are already growing fast and starting to show a slight red hue.
smile.gif

Hello scupbucket. I'm a grower from Southern California. I do have a few ideas for an enclosure. Me and my Dad built this one to stop wind from blowing away the humidity coming from the water trays. Here are some pics.
collection.jpg

Its made of plexiglass 1 foot high open on the top and bottem so you can just plop it over the plants like a cold frame. The plexiglass panes are screwed to 4 wooden posts. I takes like 10 minutes to fix this thing up and it has lasted for 3 years. It works amazingly well; on windy days I wouldn't even see the tall traps jiggle around. I wrapped some plastic over the top to keep humidity at more suitable levels.

Anyways a shot inside.

collection2.jpg

I use to live on a hilltop where wind blows into my garden like crazy at 3:00 pm. The weather here is pretty extreme and 100 degree days with 9% RH is very common. This little contraption is all that stands in between my VFTs and the harsh desert summers.

Finnally, a full grown sunbaked "Big Mouth" shot taken yesterday.

Big Mouth9.jpg

Well that's it,
Phong

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sdeering @ June 30 2005,9:33)]What is platic??? Is this a new form of light reflecting  plastic?
I got to get some..Hehe
What method of hardening off works good I have some under a 400w MH but they are some distance away 3 to 4 feet from the bulb. They may do better outside. No
Thanks for any info Stephen
Ah, another FTG! I need a typist to translate my thoughts and edit my typos!

Uglypho: great set up!

Hi Phong. Fantastic set up. Thanks for sharing. I really like how you have different CPs growing together. How many species of VFT are you currently growing? I've noticed some accelerated growth with my typicals since being outside but at the same time it may have backfired on me. Seems most of the traps are doing what they do best... catching bugs. I need to fabricate some sort of new cover as I'm really pushing to grow some photogenic traps. My goal is to have several plants with the same quality of the 'big mouth' photo you have shown... absolutely BEAUTIFUL! What's your secret?

Back