What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie VFT Question

• Thread starter eecsys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    vft
E

eecsys

Hello all...I have always liked VFTs and am looking to acquire one...My question is that I want to have it in my work place, but i was wondering if the environment would be ok. I have a window that gets good sunlight throughtout the dat, but i am in an air conditioned area (around upper 60s to lower 70s).
Also, not to many insects to eat also...
Would this be ok, no insects and not humid?
Again, any tips and suggestions would be appreciated...

Thanks again
-eddie

Keep in mind that if you get it to surrive in that enviroment you will have to give it a dormacy period of several months.

Hi eddie, welcome to the forums
biggrin.gif
!
I think your VFT should be OK, though the temps are a tad on the low side. However sitting in a sunny window should keep it warm enough. If your humidity is 40% or higher you should be OK. Many people keep their VFT in a saucer with water about ½" to an inch deep.
VFT's don't have to have insects to live. Bugs just give them that little bit of a boost for putting into bigger traps. Whatever you do, don't fertilize and don't feed them people or pet food. Use distilled, rain, or RO water and not mineral, spring or tap water. These contain minerals that will danage the roots.
As Magore mentioned it will need a winter dormancy unless it's a new plant. New plants are usually tissue culture plants and they don't need a dormancy their first year. For dormancy, I put mine in a ziplock bag in the fall and keep it in the fridge for 4 to 5 months.

Thanks for replying magore and BigCarnivourKid i will keep that in mind...
i was thinking about getting the 1.5 gallon Terrarium Kit and put that by my window...and over it up to hopefully produce enough humidity for it....

as for the dormancy period...is there any way i can avoid this...you know by maybe doing something to it or giving it something...?

thanks again for your help
-eddie

You can skip dormacy but the plant will probably die before the next winter. It is hard wired into them like bulbs. There is no way around it. There are several carnivorous plants that don't require dormancy such as sundews, butterworts and Bladderworts.

Maybe you could buy a fish bowl and put some distilled water in the bottom. Then stick the plants pot in and thats all you'll need to do. This will protect the plant from cold AC currents and up the humidity. You won't even need to put a cover on the top. For the dormancy you can just stick the plant in the frigde.

Back