What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie - suggestion for forum

Hi all,

I have been a successful VFT grower for the last 9 months or so, and I have gained a lot of knowledge from the Dionaea forum. My suggestion is that someone create a thorough "Care Tips" post for the Drosera forum that could be pinned to help newbies like me. I just bought my first Drosera from Home Depot, and things aren't going so well for it. When I came to this forum to find out how to care for it, I sorely missed a generic "Care Tips" post like is in the Dionaea forum.

As for my plant... I don't know what kind it is, but it is probably a "common Sundew" if such a thing exists, since I bought it at Home Depot. Here is a picture of it, if you are curious.  

Pic

When I transplanted it, peat got all over the leaves, and I tried to squirt-bottle them clean, which washed off all the dew. Then, a couple of days later I noticed some of the leaves were dying, and you can see that one of the new leaves coming out of the top has edges that look blackened, like it is dying. It has been about a week since I bought it.

What suggestions do you have for basic care? I am in So. Cal., where the weather is moderate in the winter, but it does get cold in the evenings sometimes. The plant is in partial sun now, although I did have it in full sun when I first transplanted it. It is in a water tray, and the pot it is in is a self-watering pot (you can lift out the pot the plant is in, and there is a water chamber underneath - the water seeps through the ceramic inner pot). I left the plant in its LFS and just put it in a bigger pot and put peat around the edges and on top.

Thanks for any tips.

Scott

That is a Drosera adelae. It is a tropical dew that enjoys moderate temperatures and has no dormancy. My own adelae thrives indoors under flourescent lights. Adelae will do best in moderate humidity, with at least 12 hours of light per day. My experience has proven that direct sun is not so good for this plant (mine reacted very poorly when I moved it outdoors last spring) This is a very hardy plant that reproduces quite easily from its roots and is practicly unkillable in my experience.

As for a "generic" care thread, that would be very difficult considering the HUGE range of climates and preferences that this species has (Drosera can be found all over the world). If you want, there is a decent care sheet that PFT has, simply click the "petflytrap.com" tab at the top of the forum page and then look for "plant care" on the top of the next page. That should be plenty of info for caring for D. adelae.

Also, if you are interested in some more in-depth study I would suggest getting your hands on a copy of The Savage Garden by Peter D'Amato. There is quite a large section dedicated to Drosera where you will get an idea of the general preferences for the plants you are interested in keeping.

Good luck
Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the info! I didn't realize there are so many types of Sundew with varying needs. At least now I know I should bring mine inside and give it more light. I'm glad to hear that these are hardy plants, since mine is very sickly looking now - hopefully it will spring back. From what you have said about my variety, I think it will do well at my place of work.

Thanks again!
Scott

Drosera adelae likes high humidity and lower light than some other sundews. Strong direct sun isn't good. Bright indirect light is fine and often the plants will develop a bronzey red color in higher light. My tank grown plants (under fluorescents) are green; my office plant in a west-facing window gets the red bronzey look. They will be "dewier" in higher humidity.

I grow mine in pure long-fibered sphagnum moss and keep it very wet.

If your plant doesn't pull through (hopefully it will)...don't give up on it! They will often make new plants from the root. So don't throw it out if it does die. Just keep treating it the same as if it were alive and you just might see new growth start up.

Welcome to the forums by the way.
smile.gif
I'm glad you are giving the 'dews a try. They are my favorites.

Hope you stick around and become a CP addict like the rest of us.
biggrin.gif

Back