What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie needinh help!

I sent you a PM about posting a picture!
smile.gif

DSC01562.JPG

my neps
DSC01563.JPG

different angle
DSC01567.JPG

VFT
DSC01564.JPG

cobra lily

ok sorry i figured out how to do it and now they are here on the board. JImscott, sorry about all the pm's

Uhhh, Jimscott, did you mention reducing the pics size in one of those PMs?? <chuckle>
laugh.gif

prizmbatch, can't help with the Cobra Lily as I haven't tried growing them yet, but the Nep looks pretty good with the exception of the pitchers missing. With luck the new leaves will produce new pitchers. If you haven't got it identified by then, post a couple pics of the plant and pitchers in the plant ID forum so the Nep nuts can take a look at it.

The VFT is a bit blurry but looks OK too. From experience I can tell you, that if gradually adjusted to the humidity where you live, they can be grown indoors or out. My humidity gets down to 25% or lower during the summer. I found that as long as I watered daily to keep the soil moist/wet or put a water tray under them, they didn't mind the low humidity.

Keep up the good work on them.
smile.gif

Prizmbatch: no need to be sorry! I enjoyed them!

BCK: Ooops! I forgot to mention the 640 x 480 (?) sizing for posting. My bad! This is where I'm supposed to do that pitch for Irfanview, which is free. how did you phrase it? "And did I mention it was free?" Yeah, that's it.
smile_n_32.gif

Mein Gott!! It is a darlingtonia!!!!! COOL RHIZOME!! COOL RHIZOME!!!!! Shaded, keep rhizome as cool as possible. Hard to raise in Texas.

Bugweed: I haven't given up! I have some seeds stratifying, as we speak. As always, I welcome any suggestions you have.

Open to suggestions, Jim?? OK, then! RUN!! RUN!! DON'T TRY TO GROW THAT PLANT!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!
(lol)

Looks like the Nepenthes could use increased light. It was by a window? A little direct sun in the early morning or late afternoon and very bright indirect light during midday would do nicely. Perhaps some supplimental lighting as another possibility. Just a simple 45 watt compact fluorescent bulb in a little clip on reflector would do.

I had mentioned it may not pitcher until Spring from low humidity during the Winter.. The number 2 reason a Nepenthes won't pitcher is insufficient light intensity.

Tony

yeah it was hanging in a window which is open all the time b/c one of my birds cages is there too. Ok so i guess i'll try the light idea.I'll stay patient and hope for the best in the spring time. And the humidity is very high right now b/c it's been raining for about 3 days now and they predict it's going to conitnue. We haven't begun winter here yet. That will come in feb. Again sorry about the size!
smile_n_32.gif

Oh it's Winter in Texas to the plant... short days, low angle of the sun.

Which direction is the window facing?

btw the green text is really really hard to read on a calibrated screen.

Tony

sorry is this better? my widows where my plants and animals are, are facing south and they get the best sun in early to mid afternoon. My north windows get hardly any sun b/c of a huge tree in my front yard. and since i live in a house in a neighborhood and not in the country my east and west windows are facing other houses and get hardly any sun. so i figured south would be the way to go.

your birds are in front of a window? i hope you have a part of the cage they can retreat to out of the sun when it getss to hot for them

must
stop
eating
TWIZZLERS! aaah
smile_l_32.gif

Oh yeah they do and the sun doesn't directly shine in that window! i've tried moving them but they love it too much! We also close the shades during the hottest part of the day.

ok so now i've got another question. I've opened the containers a little bit everyday to try to get my new plants acclimated. My VFT seems to be doing ok. Do you guys think it's ok for me to transplant it now into a real pot? On the other hand the cobra lily isn't doing to hot. The first day i opened it within 2 hours it started to wilt! Ahhhhh, what did I get myself into? So does that mean it needs a terrarium? Can I try to plant it to and see if that works better? how do i keep it cool enough so it doesn't wilt? it hasn't turned brown or nothing just kinda droopy. sorry had to edit forgot a question. how and what do i feed my 2 new plants seeing as they are so small?

No, terrarium not needed for cobras.I doubt it would do well in one. but, this really isant an ideal time to buy them. If it dies, buy another in Spring.

I would really transpalnt both plants into real plastic pots(clay ones can leek chemicals and kill your plants)

Back