What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie needing help

Gah! I did the exact same thing when making my first bog, Krom.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Don't worry, they'll be fine. Just leave them alone! Don't fidget too much.

Capslock

I am wondering if I am doing the right thing for my plants.. my setup is 3 plastic pots sitting in a larger tray of water. I have 2 VFTs and adelae in this pot. I take them outside where they get a bit of sun but end up mostly in the shade and not direct sunlight.

I have read so many different things that I am getting confused... I want the "best" environment for my plant... but each site is telling me different. Is it good to keep them in a tray of water or not? Good to take them outdoors and get some sunlight?

Hi again Krom, Here's my last best shot....VFTs are sun lovers for the most part. Four to six hours per day of direct sunlight will do them just fine. Adelae, on the other hand, are shade lovers. Thats why they're one of the few CPs that can survive for five weeks and sometimes longer on the bottom shelf at Lowes and still grow for you when you bring one home. I grow many adelae on a north facing windowsill that receives 0 direct sun...it's just very bright all year round. I have two separate outside growing areas for my VFTs: one is on a shelf that faces east and receives 5 hours of morning sunlight- 8am to about 1pm. The other is on the south side and receives about 6 1/2 hours of direct sun- noon to 6:30pm. VFTs on both shelves are doing great. I know someone out there is going to say "Hey, I grow adelae in direct sun and they doing great!". That may well be. But for the sake of simplicity, brightness without direct sun is pretty foolproof with adelae.

thank you so much for your help flytrap!

I have several adelae plantlets, some of which now have the lance leaf look to it, growing outside in southern exposure - but with a plastic cover (loosely)over them, shielding them from too much light. I keep checking them and they look great. lots of dew.

Hey Jim! Is that cover you're using over your adelae an opaque material? I'd like to try moving some of mine outside next spring. I've been hesitant to try anything else since they seem to grow so well on the sunless windowsill.

Back