What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie carnivorous gardener here!

Hi all! I'm very excited to join this community, I've had a few carnivorous plants when I was younger, a few venus flytraps(which naturally died since I didn't know how they worked) and a very fondly remembered monkey cups pitcher plant that my mom had imported for me(which met it's end when one of my dad's workers decided to slice it open and my dad did nothing about it, yes, I'm still bitter about it despite it happening when I was 10).

Anyway! I'm a gardener who grows a ton of veggies and newly fruit trees(I've been going down the grafting rabbit hole as of late) and I got some sundew seeds in a seed trade which reignited my spark for carnivorous plants! I'll be looking through the fourm over the next few days and absorbing knowledge as I always do, I'm very excited to learn and grow as a keeper of the plants with you all!

Ps: if anyone has any extra seeds I'd love to exchange some for any of the edibles of flowers I have!

Welcome, if you'd like a few more drosera seed to start you off let me know

Welcome, if you'd like a few more drosera seed to start you off let me know
I'd absolutely love a few more! I have d. Capensis, though I only have a few seeds so I'd absolutely love a few more, I plan on gifting some to my mother and little cousins to help teach them about plants

Welcome. I might be able to share a couple things along the lines of cuttings, but no seeds at this point.

If you are into grafting, one possibility which I'm not sure has been fully addressed is: can grafting of cool growing (highland or ultra-hlghland) Nepenthes on temperature tolerant rootstock be used to confer temperature tolerance to the grafted plant? This is a pretty common approach for other plants.

For example, one could try Nepenthes ventrata (aka "alata") as a rootstock. This should particularly easy to acquire. I'm less sure of what sorts of strict cool growers people might be willing to part with, as many are expensive plants. Perhaps other graft(s) could be tried first. Regardless, the experiment really should be tried.

For more detail:

As mentioned in the link, I suspect the effect observed (in many other plants) may be about the production of an essential temperature unstable macromolecule in the rootstock (RNA or Protein, all it takes is one essential molecule). Such a situation would also be consistent with why a nightly drop in temperatures is important for so many cool growers (Nepenthes and non-carnivores).

I have zero experience grafting, otherwise I would try it myself.

Perhaps I should bump my old post; I forgot I even made it and only found it with a search.

Another search found a different old discussion, just a few months later, with more of an emphasis on growth rates than temperatures.

It cannot. There was a lot of experimentation on this in the past amongst growers in south east Asia. The scion gains no warm temperature resistance from the rootstock and is essentially just a rooted cutting sitting on top of another plant.

It cannot. There was a lot of experimentation on this in the past amongst growers in south east Asia. The scion gains no warm temperature resistance from the rootstock and is essentially just a rooted cutting sitting on top of another plant.
Any reference or a post for this? Or is this just sort of passed through the grapevine?

Thank you for the interesting thought expiriment, I would honestly love to do some testing around it later once I know more about the structures of nepenthes(I'm mostly familiar with trees and succulents) I have a microscope and would love to play around with it(even if the idea is doomed to fail, science!) I'm in Georgia myself so without a specific chamber built more cold leaning things aren't easy unless it's winter.

I would absolutely love some cuttings! You guys are honestly making me so giddy with excitement over being able to extablish a nice little collection off the bat, I'll have to get to work on making some pots later today, time to go down the rabbit hole of peat vs LFS again haha(this is bringing back my childhood and I love it

The forums with this info are now defunct. But besides that there are very obvious pressures to produce warm tolerant eddys, villosa, ect for growers in tropical countries. If it were possible we'd see evidence of these plants coming from the Phillipines, Vietnam, ect

The forums with this info are now defunct. But besides that there are very obvious pressures to produce warm tolerant eddys, villosa, ect for growers in tropical countries. If it were possible we'd see evidence of these plants coming from the Phillipines, Vietnam, ect
That's sad to hear. I don't pretend to know how the economics would balance out. Certainly there is money to be made selling both inexpensive/moderately priced plants and harder to find, expensive plants. I guess I'm assuming warmth tolerant versions might ultimately be cheaper. It could be the other way around...

I do know that in other fields, not that much attention has been paid to getting grafted warmer tolerant plants to market. I think Grassy Knoll exotics sold grafted Passiflora parritae at some point. An immense amount of money is made selling Brugmansia sanguinea to people (in the US) who have no hope of growing it, but I don't think grafting has even been given much of a shot, or even selection or hybridization (with B. arborea) to enhance heat tolerance. In theory, there should be tremendous incentives to produce warmth tolerant versions of such plants for growth in warmer parts of the US, and no doubt in the tropics.

Even just making the highland and ultra-highland Nepenthes available cheaply by tissue culture could have an impact around here in coastal California, where we have the climate to grow (only) them outside. There should also be tremendous economic pressure to do that. I'm waiting... Or is there greater incentive to keep them hard to come by, and expensive?

Thank you for the interesting thought expiriment, I would honestly love to do some testing around it later once I know more about the structures of nepenthes(I'm mostly familiar with trees and succulents) I have a microscope and would love to play around with it(even if the idea is doomed to fail, science!) I'm in Georgia myself so without a specific chamber built more cold leaning things aren't easy unless it's winter.

I would absolutely love some cuttings! You guys are honestly making me so giddy with excitement over being able to extablish a nice little collection off the bat, I'll have to get to work on making some pots later today, time to go down the rabbit hole of peat vs LFS again haha(this is bringing back my childhood and I love it
I'll send you a message later.

Back