What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie Alert...-_-

ok so i bought some vfts about a week ago....recvd them quick but noticed some were turning black =/....i immediately gave them some water and sun....theyve been getting HOT miami sun for the past 4-5 days. Im talking about 90degree heat and like 70% humidity...i haven't left them without water at all and some turned nice and green but the others just turned blacker and blacker. What am I doing wrong???

Is the humidity a factor in growth and more importantly health for the vfts?

Should I maintain them in a good amount of water all day or just keep it moist?

Should I shade them from the sun or keep them in direct sunlight?

Thanks for the help. :-D

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81026

thats a care sheet that's been stickied here, theres a bunch of other goods out on the web if you search appropriately...

have you reviewed the caresheets before?

what are they potted in? how long have you had them?
can you get pictures?

give us just a weee bit more info and we'll see whats up

in answer to your direct questions... your humidity isnt a problem
they need as much sun as you can possibly get them
and as far as water... if its hot you want in the tray method just a 1/2'' of water at very most...
you want the media damp/moist... not wet and not dry.

Chris

It seems fine. And they probably would like the weather, seeing that I used to live in Miami, now I'm in Mid-Florida, not much of a difference, so it should be ok. I'm not sure about the one turning black, though. Might be due to shock. Welcome to TF, btw!!! I like your avatar :p.

Is the humidity a factor in growth and more importantly health for the vfts?

the humidity is fine..they dont need it more, they dont need it less..(humidity isnt a big deal)

Should I maintain them in a good amount of water all day or just keep it moist?

keep them in a tray of water..1/2 to 1" of water in the tray.
use only distilled, reverse osmosis, or rain water.

Should I shade them from the sun or keep them in direct sunlight?

direct sun.

the ones that are still green are responding favorably to your treatment..they will hopefully fully recover and be fine.

the ones that are still turning black were probably too far gone before you got them..they are dying, its not your fault..just keep giving them the same treatment, they might bounce back..plants can sometimes take awhile to turn around..(think in terms of months..not days..)

if *everything* turns black, right down to the soil, and you cant see a single trace of green..well, you gave it all you could..

welcome to the forums!
sounds like you are doing fine so far..

Scot

You have sound advice above so I'll just say hello and welcome to TF.

have you reviewed the caresheets before?

yes i read the fact sheet very good info but had some questions that were unanswered

what are they potted in? how long have you had them?
can you get pictures?

2x2 pots and 50/50 peat/ silica sand

when i woke ths morning one of them was completely black all the way down, should I cut it? I dont want it to rot the plant.

I'll get some pics up so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

Even when traps turn black from old age, there should be new green growth coming from the centre.

The traps don't last forever. Trim off anything black, but leave anything green.

Back