What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbe question

Hi all;
I'm sort of new here. The last time I was on was about a year ago. Never got any CP's but now I'm ready. My question is, when buying a VT is it better to get the plant with lots of small traps or the plant with fewer but larger traps ? Both being good looking, healthy plants.
Thanks
Dave

Havent really considered it, but off the top of my head, I'd say many small ones would give a better photosynthesis area, and potentially more prey caught...

I've seen different opinions to whether or not catching food increases growth or not in VFT's, but logically it should.

/Quensel.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My question is, when buying a VT is it better to get the plant with lots of small traps or the plant with fewer but larger traps ? Both being good looking, healthy plants.

Okay now, let's not beat around the bush, I think everyone knows that sooner or later, you'll end up with both of them
smile_n_32.gif

To tell you the truth, its all preference. The main thing is they are healthy, and if you want a big plant go with the big traps, and if you want a plant with small but has lots of divisions to give it a more bushier look then choose it. I would go with the big traps, because usually that means the plant is healthier

I would think that the VFT owning the big traps is just older (not necessarily healthier) than the other one, 'tis all.

Hi Dave,

My Opinion is this: I am impressed by Large Traps. If You get a plant with larger traps---it is generally just older. But since these plants live for many yrs--older is not a bad thing.

Once the plant is estabilshed in your care---its going to grow and thrive and throw a lot more traps. LARGE traps! I have 14 different varieties/morphs of VFTs, and even though each is impressive in its own ways---I still like the BIG traps better.

This is my opinion--and worth exactly what you pay for it!

HTH

Thanks all;
I'll probably go with the best looking one. Oh, and Est your probably right, Ill end up with both.
Thanks
Dave

The thing is that most of the plants are about the same age if they are in the same group. So, a plant with big traps is the same age as a plant with small traps. Depending on if they were indivually t/c'ed from seeds or are from the same plant, it can either mean the bigger one is healthir, or if from seed that the plant might just have the genes for big traps, while another plant grown from seed might have the genes for small traps. It's like people, there are tall people and short people, some fat, skinny, darker, lighter, ect...
So it's mainly preference.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Okay now, let's not beat around the bush, I think everyone knows that sooner or later, you'll end up with both of them
smile_n_32.gif
Come on, thats just a way to get out of desicion making - which I use nonetheless
biggrin.gif

Same here, never thought of that, I would've thought ppl would choose the cooler looking bigger traps one, since it might seem healthier or older...I would. The smaller ones don't make many spectacular catches, that's all. Just know this : if you put a VFT in a small pot it will direct all its energy into producing bigger leaves as he bulb would not have space to split/spread. But if in a large pot (ie. given the chance to divide), it will, and produce a forest of baby traps. Either way, your choice.
smilie4.gif

Hi peter,

Let me offer this: The large VFTs that I bought from Lowes 2-3 yrs ago have Rhizomes that are so BIG---there's no way that these plants are not older. One of them is as long as my Pinkie finger, and the other is not far behind.

I don't know if these were originally illegally collected from the wild or what. I bought them from Lowes. However, it took years to get rhizomes that big. These plants throw multiple 1 1/2" traps regularly, and have an 8" plant diameter.

You're correct on the genetics, but sometimes bigger means older.

Just some thoughts.....

Thanks for the info. I guess only time will tale how big and how many traps there will be as the plant grows.
Thanks again.
Dave

Back