What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newb question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, im a newb and was wonder what would be best to keep a venus flytrap in, like a container or something, is there anything special, and how do i feed it???
smile_l_32.gif

sorry if this is in the wrong forum but there is noone in the other forums.

Hi Wil,
I have moved your post the appropiate forum. As for no one being "in" a given forum, don't worry! These forums aren't a chat feature, they are a message board, so you may have to wait a little while for a response, but you will get one.

I grow my VFT's in a regular plastic pot (I have several in a plastic window box as well). I use LFS, pete and perlite for a mix, and they seem to like it. I don't actually feed mine, as they catch enough on their own.
I grow mine on the tray method (for those in pots) which means I sit the pot in a tray of water about 1/2 to 1" deep. My window box in undrained, so they are currently swimming from our last rainstorm. May have to throw in a few life jackets, lol. Only use pure water. Most tap water has too many minerals and will slowly kill your plant.
VFT's like sun, but if you get one in a store, chances are it's not used to the sun, so tan it slowly...Only an hour or so of direct sun for the first few days, then you can increase to 2 hours...you get the picture... They get sunburned just like you or I would after being inside all winter.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back