What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newb from NC

I was looking for info on some CP due to my 5 year old son seeing one on TV....we ended up getting a couple from the local lowes store and the boy is fascinated by seeing the fly trap "eat". Guess I will be around here alot seeing that my thumb isnt anywhere near green.

Welcome to Terraforums!!!

A fellow NC n00b says hello. ;D

Welcome!
I'm from central NC, about an hour west from Raleigh. Going by your name, are you from Cherry Point?

If you have any trouble or need any help with the Lowes plants, don't hesitate to ask.

I should have used the name "formerusmcski"....I was active duty from 1997-2002...got out and got into law enforcement. I currently live just north of Statesville,NC (45 minutes north of Charlotte)

Welcome to TF!

Thanks for the warm welcome. Here is a couple pics of our first plants that we got from lowes.

IMG_5083.jpg

IMG_5084.jpg

IMG_5086.jpg

IMG_5087.jpg

IMG_5092.jpg

Nice plants. You may want to replant the sundew into its own pot so it can be put in its own growing conditions. I think a good medium would be a 1:1 mixture of peat and perlite. they should get some more color as they get more sun

They have not had much sun from sitting inside the store but we have been putting them outside over the past couple days. I noticed the purple coming out in the fly trap and the pitcher.
I dont know if the pitcher in the last pic is going to make it or not. The bottom of the pitcher is turning brown but it looks like some new growth coming up next to it.
I bought some pearlite and some moss to transplant when I get a chance.

you would be surprised at how strong those tissue cultured plants are. I bought a venus flytrap from lowes last year. When I went to repot it part of the rhizome broke off without roots. today it is the only venus flytrap from lowes that I have. (I think the others got a bit to cold this winter.) It should make it with the right conditions

Back