What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New

• Thread starter CannibalCP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    flytraps
C

CannibalCP

Greetings all,
I just have a few simple questions and if someone could please answer them it'd be GREATLY apreciated. I baught 4 Venus Flytraps earlier this year.1 Normal, 1 Red Dragon, and 2 Green Dragons. They are rather big now and fall is aproaching, I was just wondering when I should put them in dormancy,how I should do this and for how long? Also can I re-plant them as they are to big for their current pots,and how do I go about doing this? I am really scared to mess up and hurt or kill my cp's. So some help would be greatly apreciated.
Thanx for your time,
CannibalisticCP
biggrin.gif

Hey CannibalCP

First off WELCOME!!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
WE are happy that you have found us, and I hope you learn tons and become addicted like the rest of us
smile.gif

For dormancy check out this link http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....4;t=619

About repotting....

I would only repot if:

1) the roots are coming out of the bottom of the pot
2) if it is spring!
smile.gif

If you were to repot now, you would disturb the growing season your plants love
smile.gif

When you repot...

1) get a larger pot
2) mix up your soil ( 50% peat moss 50% perlite )
3) place some new soil in the bigger pot
4) Turn the pot over that had the plants in them and gently shake them out. You are doing this because you do not want to disturb the roots ( which will lead to shock ).
5) take the whole thing ( dirt, plant... ) and place in new larger pot
6) fill soil around edges.

DONE!!
smile.gif

This way you are not messing with the roots, and the plant has new room to grow.

Also remember that these plants don't really need to be repotted..they can take the same soil, as long as it is not compacted.

Hope this helps!
smile.gif

Back