What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New vft owner

• Thread starter flytrap2803
  • Start date
  • Tags
    dente vft
F

flytrap2803

Hi everyone.  I just got a vft assortment pack and I was wondering what I should do to make happy, healthy vfts.   I don't have a terrarium(sp.) but I still want my little guys to be happy.
smile.gif
 Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.  Also, how big do they tend to get?  In case you don't know i have a green dragon, dente and a common.

Hi
Feeding: You should feed the vft 2 times a month something like a cricket but not a rolly polly , make sure the cricket is 3/4 or smaller then the trap or when te trap closes after a week or so it mite start to grow mold on th pray.

Lighting: A vft can have direct sunlight. If you use grow lights make sure they are turned on and over the plant for about 14-16 hours a day.

Watering: vft love water. Water when soil doesn't look moist.

Humidity: All vft's from my reserch love humidity and high temps in the higher 70's. Humidity should be aout 65% for a vft for it to grow.

Dont keep it in a platic cover thing throw that out and just take a fish bowl and cover it with that, so the oping of the fish bowl will be the base.

Have fun growing this plant. Hope it gets better and you are know going to love these plants. THEY ARE ADDICATIVE. LOL--Phil

P.S. Greendragons are really ast growe. This vft is eally fun to have in the Late spring/summar these plnts have great huge traps. The dente is a good plant as well the traps look like shark teeth ifyou grow your in full light. And the common I call it the home vft. It is original it has big traps and has alittle red in the trap. To know tha your vft's like you and that they like how you are growing them is the turn red or pink inside of the trap. But you have to have grow lights to see it.
biggrin.gif
Happy growing.
biggrin.gif

First of all:

biggrin.gif

smile.gif

biggrin.gif
WELCOME TO THE FORUM!
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

biggrin.gif

It probably WILL be tempting to feed your VFT alot but you must resist as you can overfeed your plant! If you want to be precautious then don't feed it AT ALL - All it really needs is water and light! If so it will grow more slowly than if it's fed.

If you are keeping them inside (Which is a good idea!
biggrin.gif
) they need to be put on a window sill *OBVIOUSLY
smile.gif
* If it's a really sunny day put it outside in a sun trap with lots of water! In a couple of months in doing this the traps insides should go a nice red! They are probably already a red tint though when you bought them!

If you want to ask anything don't hesitate too!
smile.gif

wink.gif

lil_flytrap_boy  
biggrin.gif

Feeding live insects usually works best.  I catch a fly in a small jar and stick it in the freezer for 2 to 3 minutes to put the fly to 'sleep' then use an old pair of tweezers to drop it in to the trap.  I trip the trap to close it and when the bug wakes up and starts moving around, it trips the hairs.  That way I don't have to stand around playing with my fly trap for ten minutes trying to get it to seal.  The bug does all the work.

Thanx everyone. That's all very helpful. I really liked the fly to refrigerator idea. I was trying to get it to just sit on the flytrap for a while. Thanx again.

Back