What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ori

A watched plant never grows.
Hi there everyone. Just saying hello and letting you know I am new to carnivorous plants. I have six already and trying to get more. This is a new hobby for me as I already have regular houseplants also. Getting into carnivours plants can be addictive I see. I find that I like the utrics. I have four already ( (2 subulatas), livida, sandersonii and (2) gibbas) I also have capensis 'alba', pinguicula moranensis. These are all growing so beautifully). I have also won an D adelae from the auction. Can't wait to have this one added to my little collection. Can anyone offer any advice on which ones are easiest for me to grow? I would like any input I can get.:-:-

Getting into carnivours plants can be addictive I see.

lol. That's an understatement! Just wait a little while... As for the easiest, it seems like you are on the right track. D. capensis and D. adalae are bomb proof so you got a nice find in the auction for a start with the Drosera.

If you are looking into some Nepenthes then you should try out N. ventrata, N. sanguinea, or any vigorous hybrids.

Do you grow on a window sill? Outside? If you grow outside then most any Sarrs will grow easily.

Anyways, welcome to the forum, Ori!

xvart.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Jerry

I am growing the capenisis 'alba', u. livida and u. subulata on the window sill. The u. gibba and u. sandersonii and ping are growing under lights on a table. I also have 1 u. subulata growing in a ten gallon tank setup like in "The Savage Garden" book along with a Genlisea (I forgot I had this in my collection). These are doing just fine also. The u. subulata has sent out new growth lately. I can see that it spreads like a weed also.

Hallowed are the Ori (I hope that's the right reference).

Welcome to the forum. Under lights, I would think most pings and tropical drosera should be easy. I don't have a light setup, so I am just guessing from what others have posted here.

Looks like you're off to a great start!!! Welcome to Terraforums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D

welcome! make yourself at home, and ask whatever questions you may have, so you can get 50 different answers to choose from!

welcome! make yourself at home, and ask whatever questions you may have, so you can get 50 different answers to choose from!

lol. Is someone speaking from experience?

xvart.

Or, you could use the search feature and find 75 answers to choose from :) :welcome:

OK here it goes. How easy is it to grow Genlisea. I believe I killed mine that is in the window. The one in the tank seems to be alright I think. I need to know how do I send a photo so that you will be able to see what it looks like in the tank and tell me if this is growing correctly.

Welcome to the forums Ori! And you've made the discovery we all have...CPs are addictive!

Be careful with the subulata...it is weedy and can spread easily to other pots. Which is ok if you don't mind subulata growing with other plants. :)

Welcome to TF! Easy plant? D. capensis, spatulata, adelae, most Mexican pings, U. livida, U. sandersonii, U. warburgii, U. bisquamata, to name a few.

BTW, I was born in Da Bronx.... Fish Avenue, near Boston Road and Pelham Parkway. Then we moved out to the Island. Lets Go Mets!

BTW I'm a Yankees fan. Hope that's not a problem:blush:

Hey Ori & jimscott, I'm really sorry to hear about your conditions. :crazy:
What y'all need is to come down south, get a good case of moonshine and the Braves.

Actually, being a former Clevelander (yeah, yeah, I know) I wake up every day and give thanks that former Clevelander Steinbrenner is an idiot.

As for the Mets, they will have their regular August collapse.

At least you have CPs going for ya. :woot:

BTW I'm a Yankees fan. Hope that's not a problem:blush:

Not at all surprising, being from the Bronx and all. At least we both hate the Braves!:jester:

Back