What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to Pitcher Plants. Germination Question

Hello,

I tried to find a thread on this, but was unable to, so I will ask it here if it is ok.

I am currently trying to grow 3 different Pitcher Plant varieties that I bought off of eBay.
I have them in Styrofoam cups and under two 6500K (1600 Lumens each) CFL lights.
As Pictured below...

2010-10-11_16-37-49_394.jpg

I did remove the plastic covering tonight per another users advice. Worries of rot.
However, I did slightly cover them with a layer of Peat moss which I now know I should
not have done. Do I stand a chance of them Germinating? How long does it typically take?

Thank you in advance!

I did put them through the stratification period. Roughly 5 weeks.

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

Do you agree with the film removal from the cups? How damp should I keep them?
Any advice is appreciated. I really want to see these grow. Thanks!

You can keep the film on until you see germination, then feel free to remove it. You will most likely need some stronger lights though once they get a couple month old. As long as you give them plenty of light and RO water they should do just fine for you! Sarracenia will take quite some time to get larger but they will definitely reward you :)

Sounds like you're doing just fine! Very impressive for a beginner!!

Thank you for the info and confidence booster haha

I use only Rain Water that I collect with a rain barrel I installed this summer. Should I keep them very damp while under the lights?

Keep them moist but not wet, also be sure to keep an eye out for mold. If you start to see mold growth remove the cover and try to add air circulation. A small fan usually does the trick. It sounds like you're doing ok though! Overtime I think you'll come to find that plants grow best ignored. Counter intuitive huh?!

Overtime I think you'll come to find that plants grow best ignored

You may have a strong point there haha

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

Ok, So I have to post this! I am so very happy. I just went outside to my mini greenhouse and discovered that one of my Dunecraft Kit Pitcher plants has actually formed the tubular leaf! It is so tiny but I am a happy guy. Now, If I can keep it alive!!!

2010-10-13_23-30-00_577.jpg

2010-10-13_23-30-33_667.jpg

Was thinking (Yeah I know...Stop thinking lol) that the cling wrap I was using was cutting out some light since it isn't totally clear, so I am trying sandwich baggies instead. Does seem to give off more light.

2010-10-15_02-02-03_135.jpg

2010-10-15_02-13-20_694.jpg

So, As long as I don't see any mold I will leave it as it is now. Promise not to touch them again :)
By mold, you do not mean the green algea looking stuff right?

Looks good to me, yeah as Frenchy said leave the plastic until after the plants germinate and grow for a while. I just use cheap seed starting kits you get at lowes with the plastic cover and I keep a cm or two of water in a tray below to keep the media moist. I do use a fan as air circulation is important. Good Growing.

Alrighty. This is how they will stay until I see some germination lol

Back