What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to Pinguicula

bluebird

Rub my belly!
I have never grown pinguicula before, but I really like the look of the Pinguicula (Yucca Do 1713) so I'm wondering is this a good one for beginners or should I get a easier one?

Thanks alot for any help.

Go for it. I find that only wierd ones like gypsicola and moctezumea are difficult for beginners. Some may disagree, but they're HARD for me!

P. Primuiflora grows basically anywhere.

Primuliflora isn't tolerant of really high light levels but loves wet LFS,dappled light and a wide range of temps.

I can get any butterwort but primuliflora to grow for me... never had any luck with it.

1713 is easy.

Thanks for the suggestions I think I'l start with Pinguicula (Yucca Do 1713) first then the others later.

With a few exceptions (gypsicola), most of the Mexican pings are comparably as easy.

I've decided to get a Pinguicula Yucca Do 1713 from flytrapshop.com with the 2.25" pot with 1 part peat and 2 part perlite this should be ok I've seen some mixes have peat, perlite and vermiculite do you think I should add some to the mix or it's not really necessary also what is the basic care for it watering wise right now it should be fine with the sun in the windowsil and temps usually are around lows 80 high 90 sometimes and humidity is low 30% High 50% during the day and 60% at night is this ok also should it be in a tray of some water or just water it when it's needed?

For the winter I'll have a growshelf set up before it gets cold and no sun..

I grow mine in a mix of crushed coral, perlite, and egg shells, with a bottom layer of LFS. The tend to like the alkalinity. The rest is texture for drainage.

One more question I know most pings are small, but I'm just curious how big are Pinguicula Yucca Do 1713 so far I've tried to look up, but no luck.

Thanks.

A really easy mix for Mexi -Pings is 2:1 aquatic plant soil/vermiculite.

One more question I know most pings are small, but I'm just curious how big are Pinguicula Yucca Do 1713 so far I've tried to look up, but no luck.

Thanks.
They are about an 1½" in diameter and ¾" tall.

Not exactly the biggest ping around:

IMG_0182.jpg

And here's a very similar cultivar, with a better picture:

IMG_0055.jpg

Thanks for the help and pictures they look pretty cute.

Back