What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to nepenthes

Would a nepenthes grow well in pure peat moss?

no.

i use pure LFS. you can do half lfs and half perlite or orchid bark or = part OB and LFS and perlite and a part of peat.

just make sure it's very airy. pure peat wont work at all.

Pure peat will work, but may induce root rot. Using 1 part peat and 2 parts perlite or lfs (or 1 of each) is a good, simple mix.

-D. Lybrand

If you're using peat, use the coarse peat chunks. they hold up better and break down slower.
Mixing this with fir bark, coco chips and redwood soil conditioner also helps.

Michael

In the past I've bought a couple of Neps which were growing in that really chunky (German?) peat that looks almost like orchid bark.
They're both doing fine in my usual LFS now though.
I wouldn't say growing Neps in pure peat can't be done, just that there are easier ways
smile_m_32.gif

T.

I use equal parts of peat moss, perlite, and LFS.

I use 50/50 peat perlite for my N.ventrata and pure LFS for my hirusta x veichtii cuttings. Both are growing very well.

Notice everybody has a different recipe? the common thread in all this is having aerated medium. I mix sand and peat and then add LFS on top. On top of that I put pine needles and have them all in hanging baskets, outside.

auctually i've repotted everything to 1/1/1 orchidbark/charcoal,lfs, perlite. the lfs was starting to breakdown since it's been about a year.

pine needles jim? i'll have to try that sometime!

Courtesy of Maehem. She has had comparative success against pests and diseases by using pine needles. I had a topic about it a few weeks back. It also adds to the acidic environment.

Care to post the link the pine needle info? BTW Jim I just started my first Nep as well. I'm using 50/50 LFS/Perlite.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Outsiders71 @ July 16 2005,10:28)]Care to post the link the pine needle info?  BTW Jim I just started my first Nep as well.  I'm using 50/50 LFS/Perlite.
If I had to pick two first ingredients to start with before any experimentation, those would be it. Yes, we all have different recipes, lol. Pure peat does work(a lot of the mass tissue cultured plants come in this, even giant N. 'Miranda'), though as has been pointed out, a looser mix works better for the most part.
I like cocohusk chips, if you can get it, to mix in with perlite and sphagnum, with a pinch of peat to blend it all together.

Cheers,

Joe

i feel like Julia Childs here lol.

"just add a little bit of perlite and a pinch of peat for flaver. that looks fantastic!"

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ July 17 2005,12:03)]i feel like Julia Childs here lol.

"just add a little bit of perlite and a pinch of peat for flaver.  that looks fantastic!"
Yeah, but can you say it the way she says it?!

I am stuggling to find that topic, using several different combinations. I'll keep trying, though

Back