What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New terrarium

Colieo

Staff member
Hey all! I maybe getting a 30 gal aquarium. I have two questions since I usually grow my plants on the windowsill.
1)What kind of lid should I use? The regular aquarium cover, or a sheet of plexi glass or fiber-glass?
2)How many lights, What kind? This is a BIGGIE, I read the other posts, but I am still in the "DARK"
smile.gif
on this one!! I dont know whether to use 2,3,4,5,6 lights... soft white...cool white...flouresant... the list goes on
sad.gif

Thanks all,
C-ya
Cole

Hey Colieo, This is what I would do. I wouldn't use plexiglass because it sags and bubbles under the heat of the lights. Just use glass like 1/4 inch thick for the top, just buy it and have it cut to size. And for lighting you should use flourescent lighting, like the tube strips lights, just buy the size fixtures that will fit over the top of your terrarium and buy a mixture of cool white and warm white bulbs. You should try to fit as many lights over the top of the terrarium as possible, and say if you could fit like 5 lights over the top you should use 3 cool white and 2 warm white. Just have a little bit more cool white light than warm white light (thats what I do anyway).
John
biggrin.gif

Hey thanks John. I got the aquarium, and I seriously doubt the light it came with will be sufficient. It says that it is good for sea plant growth & good fish coloration but nothing on CP color; go figure. I am going to use this one, & am going to add another light to it.
Thanks
Cole

Back