What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New terrarium help

im trying to build a terrarium/bog out of 5 gallon aquarrium tank. im would like to grow vfts, pitcher plants, and maybe some sundews. i have absolutly no clue where to start so any and all comments, instructions, hints, or tips are extremely welcome and needed. i live in south east new hampshire, if that is any help. thanks guys.

The only pitcherplants that you're likely to have success with in a terrarium are S. purpurea or S. psittacina - the others require more light as/and they are much taller (too tall for a tank).

VFTs and sundews are fine, because they are small enough.

You'll want to choose temperate sundews, because a tropical can't deal with the same conditions that the pitcherplant and flytrap will require at different times of the year.

You will need to allow the tank to sit around 40 degrees for about 3 months during the winter, to allow the plants to go dormant.  Since you are in New Hampshire, that shouldn't be too difficult in a garage or basement.

Alternatively, you could stick to tropical sundews and then you wouldn't need dormancy.  But pitcherplants and flytraps will fail in the long run without a cool period.

I use a soil of 3 parts peat to 1 part coarse sand with great results in my bog for these plants.

Light will need to be very strong.  Keep in mind that these plants enjoy full sun.  The brightest light you can provide is best - there is no such thing as too much light in this case.

Have you considered, instead, building a mini-bog?  Pitcherplants are always happier outdoors.  In your climate, it would require winter protection.  S. purpurea purpurea is very cold hardy, though, and should live outside just fine.

- Patrick

how deep would the soil need to be if i plant something in the tank? and to keep it wet, do i just pour water over the whole thing or is there some other trick?
the mini bog sounds neat... but i dont know if i can do it in my yard. i think most of the space is already taken up by gardens.
thanks agian

I think D. adelae and p. primuliflora can cultivated successfully in a terrarium environment. Certainly most plants that DON't require dormancy are safest. D. capensis or D. burmannii. But you need to refrain from closing the tank off totally. They still need air circulation.

For sundews, soil of 3" should be sufficient...most do not have deep roots. Pitcher plants can grow rather deep roots. Water can just be poured on. The amount you want will depend on the species. Flytraps like it a bit drier, pitcher plants a bit wetter. For sundews, it depends on the species.

dont forget the Utrics. if you go with species such as D. adelae and capensis than Utrics can grow and form a nice blooming carpet.

Rattler

you cant grow nepenthes with the other plants you wanted. they need different requirements. you could grow the temperates there during their gorwing season, then take them out for dormancy. nepenthes get pretty big so you'll have to choose smaller species if you choose to take the temperates out in the winter.

why dont you just grow temperates outside year round? if its too cold in NH, then you can protect them with mulch or something.

Back