What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new supplies

Timmy

BANNED
2.2' compressed peat for 7.00 and 50 lbs of quickrete sand for like 3.00. Soil for all my plants. Also bought an Adelae, with 2 divisions. The plan is to get garbage bags and put the peat and sand in seperate ones and get a cup and measure out equal parts, and then fill the pots up. My LFS is growing and shrinking. I might take pics after its all done.

timmy, if you bought the play sand make sure you wash it pretty good before you use it.

Play sand legally has to be free of all salts and chemicals. It's perfectly safe to use.

I would double check your sand to make sure there is NOTHING else in it besides sand. I can't imagine quickcrete going to the trouble to put their name on a bag just filled with sand. I use the sandblasting sand from menards or lowes.

I would double check your sand to make sure there is NOTHING else in it besides sand. I can't imagine quickcrete going to the trouble to put their name on a bag just filled with sand. I use the sandblasting sand from menards or lowes.

Seconded. IIRC, I had a bag of Quickcrete that was filled with stones and pebbles with a pinch of actual sand in it........ and of course, it was for concrete making. It even clumped when it got wet. *facepalm*

But PLAYsand is intended to fill kid's sand boxes. It must be clean, and non-toxic, just in case one of 'em gets the munchies. :)

Hey, I have a question where in the HECK do you find peat moss that is not made by Scott's or miracle grow (these brands add fertilizer)????

At home depot all i could find was miracle grow :(

You need to ask for Organic or Canadian Sphagnum Peat. If you ask for "peat potting soil" the Miracle Grow and Scotts is what they will direct you to when the kids at the shop hear the words "potting soil". If they still don't show you the right stuff, take a walk over by the mulches. The peat bales are not usually in the same area as potting soils and top/soils and is always in a SQUARE bale (no matter the brand), not a big flat pillow bag like the other stuff. All I could find this year was a 3 cu ft (or bigger) square bale by Premire brand, I hate buying so much cos I generally don't use that much of it in a whole year but It was only $9.'

Someone posted a pic of the bag online saving me the trouble of photoing mine. I got this at Home Depot (but in a larger size)

e987c675-08c0-442d-ba5b-b5eef8d73eea_300.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-G...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Last edited:
But PLAYsand is intended to fill kid's sand boxes. It must be clean, and non-toxic, just in case one of 'em gets the munchies. :)
Being non-toxic to kids is not the same as being non-toxic to CPs. It could contain materials that increase TDS drastically...

God..... The sand makes the medium shrink down, I'm going all peat. The rain moistened it for me. But the peat will make the plant divide more, but no average-big traps, I at least want a 1 inch trap....

They do sell silica sands, but make sure you read the bag as they sell sand with alot of other things in there too.

Here is a link to the MSDS and data sheet for the sands. http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines/SandCommercialGrade.asp

I bought a bag of the medium to test out and so far so good. But like everything its only been 2 months or so, I like this sand much better than any play sand I've tried.

For easy reference, they sale 3 grades.

Coarse (0.7-0.6 mm)
Medium (0.5-0.3 mm)
Fine (0.6-0.2 mm)

Timmy - the sand doesnt make the medium shrink down, the water does
when peat is dry, it is fluffy if it is not packed into a solid brick, and it cant be in a solid brick if you mixed the sand in, when it gets wet, it compacts, just add more media to the pot....

Being non-toxic to kids is not the same as being non-toxic to CPs. It could contain materials that increase TDS drastically...

I WAS going to make a rebuttal, but then I started thinking about the white residue, the algae and moss, and about the limp leucos.

I humbly go, now, to hunt some crows. :jester:

I am going to have a very busy day this fall, re-potting hundreds of plants, AND the whole bog.

Back