What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New sundew on the way!

Ordered a drosera spatulata x capensis hybrid today, can't wait to get it next week sometime! Anyone have any experience with this plant? I can't seem to find many pictures or much info on it, so I assume its not a plant that many people have right now?

Well, it has Capensis in it so you know it's going to be one of the easier sundews to grow, lol.
Here's a pic of D. spatulata x capensis from this past winter:
Drosera_capensis_x_spatulata.JPG

I had this guy for a year and 2 months at this point and received it as a medium-sized plant.
Only thing I don't like about this hybrid is that it is sterile, so it has to be propagated by leaf cuttings. That's why I'm guessing it's not as common in collections.
It's certainly an easy-grower though!
It grows fastest when fed and since the flowers are sterile, you might as well pull all the newest stalks while they're young to produce the largest possible growth.

I had a specimen a few years ago:

IMG_0067.jpg

CPlantaholic: wow that's some serious dew!

Oh I see, so cuttings is the only way to propagate this plant then? That would definitely explain it, but I'm usually pretty good with them so maybe I'll try some! How big does this plant get? It looks alot like capensis but I don't see a whole lot of spatulata in it.

I remember seeing D. capensis x spatulata at a botanical garden, but it looked so much like a regular capensis that I decided against buying it :p

Interesting how the hybrid seems to have no influence from D. spatulata :p

i grow some, they are easy plants to grow and although sterile they flower regularly.

@dewy, it tends to stay around 2.5 inches across. It may be able to reach 3 inches but I don't have my plants with me now so I'd air on the lower estimate.

As for the parental influence, pretty much the only thing that D. spatulata contributed to this hybrid was its smaller size lol. But I do have to say it does look pretty unique once it gets established. I wish I could find the size comparison pic I took a while back, but I may have deleted it... :(

Back