What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Sarracennias, ID needed

DrWurm

Californian in DC
My local nursery finally got in a new shipment of death cube sarracenia today. Most were purps, but I also found this hybrid. Looks like it's got minor and purp in it. Is it just purp. x minor? Also, what subgroup is this purpurea in? I always forget which is which.

Wow! Neat find! Those cubes are usually the more commonly tissue cultured cutlivars like 'Judith Hindle' and 'Scarlet Belle' etc., along with purpurea and sometimes rubra. That doesn't look lke the above, but I wonder if it is one of the "bug" types "redbug" etc., despite that it is all green, possibly from growing in low light. In any case, enjoy!!

If it is one of the bug series plants, it would have to be Lady Bug.

I have red bug, it's definitely too tubby to be that. Lady Bug looks like a decent match for now. I'm glad I took the time to sort through all the purps they had; it's a rather cute looking plant.

Yeah, you will probably need to see what it looks like in full sun and maybe that will help too.

I don't think it's Lady Bug - the rib on the front of the pitcher looks way too pronounced. Could be a light thing, though. I would be surprised to hear of death cubes with such a highly sought named plant. More likely it's just a simple cross. Regardless, it's an awesome find. As for the purp, I'd say it's S. purpurea venosa, by the hairs on the lid. I think that's how you tell...
~Joe

Nice... Death cubes are the only way i could get cp's locally. I cannot grow any plants like that now, but in the future they will be tempting...

DrWurm, your Sarracenia hybrid is probably S. purpurea x (minor x purpurea). I used to have one like it. You know, that hybrid is getting more common recently.

100% sure its S. x "Lady bug". Its from a tissue culture place in MN.

Back