What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New sarracenia

YAY! I received my first pitcher plants in the mail today!
smile.gif
I have a quick and probably simple question for the group. I purchased plants from the pft sale so of course they're bare root and many have pitchers. Some of the pitchers are a little damaged - torn or bent. Should I cut these off when I plant them tonight? I'm guessing that they'll provide energy to the plant once it's planted even if they're no longer at their best, at least until new pitchers have time to grow.
What do you think?
Thanks in advance for what I have noticed is considerable expertise!

If they're green, leave them on; if they're brown, trim them off.

I'll add to his bareroot Sarr question and ask should I be trying to spread the roots out in the mix as much as possible or just make a hole and stuff them in? (and howsabout Darlingtonia same thing there?)

Thanks!
smile.gif

I would avoid handling the roots. What I do, and have been told to do for every cp by an expert grower, is to gently plant the rhizome into a hole, and gently place soil around the roots. Next, either plunge the pot or flood the bog/pot with water, and allow the water to settle the roots into place. A gentle shaking method usually does a good trick to settle the plants into place without harming the roots, instead of packing the soild around the plant.

Thanks guys!
I planted everything last night! It was fun!
smile.gif
Sometimes in Seattle it's hard to believe that Spring/Summer is coming, but when you've got your hands in the dirt (peat&#33
wink.gif
, you can hope!
I cut off a few dry brown pitchers and I tucked the roots gently into holes I made in the peat. They're sitting outside on the balcony in the rain as I write this, so I'm hoping for the best
smile.gif

Thanks!

Back