What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New sarracenia owner

My plants live in the greenhouse and are potted in 2:1 peat / perlite. If you use perlite outdoors though it tends to float to the top.
Everything you're doing sounds fine. Both will need to get used to their new conditions, so you'll have to be patient.

For those who might enjoy a good CP update I had to post this as I was all sorts of excited after this perfect weather (not really for people) we've been having here in WNY. I explained this to my wife but she just patted me on the head, gave me a peck on the cheek, and went about her business. My Purpurea and Flava had a growth spurt! The Purpurea burped out a nice chunky pitcher and I've been noticing some critters floating around inside... new growth is forming all over. What I was most excited about was my Flava, when I received it a couple weeks ago there were some old pitchers that were dying but a few midsize pitchers that still trying to grow (now there are the non-trap leaves growing in nicely). Well I did a close inspection today and one of those pitchers opened up nicely and low and behold inside was a little yellow jacket (my wife felt sorry for it - she's a softie). Sorry, had to share the news. I was so geeked to see this as I had thought the Flava might not make it with the new surroundings let alone be able to trap anything. This weather has been fantastic for my plants. Even my VFTs are spitting out some HUGE traps all of the sudden and they're growing like wildfire. Many thanks to the members here for some great growing tips!
smile_n_32.gif

smile_n_32.gif

I have tried many soil bases, and find straight Canadian sphagnum peat moss works just fine, and every North American species grows well in it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scupbucket @ July 23 2005,1:05)]For those who might enjoy a good CP update I had to post this as I was all sorts of excited after this perfect weather (not really for people) we've been having here in WNY. I explained this to my wife but she just patted me on the head, gave me a peck on the cheek, and went about her business.
At least she did that! A lot of our wives think we're all nuts. Mine describes this hobby as "morbid".

Any predictions about our Bills/

Oh she know I'm nuts... she just let's me play in my own little world and doesn't waste time figuring out what's wrong with me. She gave that up a few years ago.
smile_n_32.gif

smile_n_32.gif

Dunno about the Bills... I just hope they keep up the momentum they had late last season. It's going to be weird without Drew. Tough to say as I'm a Cleveland fan at heart (grew up there) but they're going to suck royally so I need a good team to fall back on.

About the 2-liter as a pot, it's a matter of opinion, but I'd get a regular pot to replant it into, because such thin plastic as that will get very brittle in the sun and will eventually shatter when you touch it. That was the fate of one of my misting bottles once...

Back