What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New project i'm working on

I just recently received seed for these two plants but I had no where to plant them. So I started working on making a pot similar to the one in the book Savage Garden for my soon to be Utricularia and Genlisea. So I thought I'd post some pics of my progress. (Its also similar to elgeckos post a while back)

Here's what I want it to look like. I took my two containers and took a picture and added in the Genlisea to get the finished look I'm going for. (I love PSP, you can do so much with pictures!)

cup1.jpg
cup2.jpg

So far its been a lot of work drilling because the containers are glass. And thick glass too! One hole takes aboout 45 minutes to drill. Its definately not going as fast as I thought it would. But, I think it will be worth it in the end.

Here's the hole drilling in process...

holes.jpg

Well, thats all for now. I'll post again when the holes are finished and I can put some peat inside

A worthy endeavor Michelle! I got to see Elegcko's in person a few weeks ago. It is real neat! And you should he his N. hamata & ventrata in hanging baskets, in his kitchen! My jaw dropped open.

You may already know this, Michelle, but they make special ceramic drill bits that work on glass a lot better than most. 45 minutes seems a little extreme for such a shallow hole - are you using ordinary wood or masonry bits? I can usually punch a 1/4" hole in less than three minutes with my ceramic bits.
Best luck, and make sure to post some more photos when you're all finished.
~Joe

seedjar- I didn't know about a cermaic drill bit. Will it still work on glass? Right now I'm using a diamond drill bit.

jimscott- did you take pictures of the hamata? I'd love to see
cool.gif

Michelle, I just noticed this now. I don't have a camera, but I know Elgecko has posted pics of it. If I'm not mistaken, his signature contains a pic of the hamata pitcher. I can probably do a search.

Back