What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New pond, looking for insect control

Howdy
I have a very wet bog area where I would like to plant a few bug eaters. Please pardon if this is a common question, but I didn't find the answers in the search function
sad.gif

Anywho, what would be good to plant in the Rockies (about 5,000 ft, zone 5). I would luv something that would eat yellow jackets, though I did read here that they can be tough on most plants.

I did find a lot of info at the Carivore Plant FAQ but I'd like to hear your experiences, too!

Cheers
kat

Hi Kat,
Does the bog get any run off from nearby fields, lawns, etc.?  If so you may not be able to get CPs to grow in it because of fertilizers and minerals leached into it from these places.  As for plants that can catch yellow jackets, my VFTs have caught the smaller ones with no problems (check my avatar
smile.gif
) and some of my Sarracenia have caught them also.  There is always the possibility that that will chew their way out.

smile.gif

BCK

S. flava is the yellow jacket eating king in my yard.
I don't think it would survive the winters there though. Maybe you could keep it in a pot...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Does the bog get any run off from nearby fields, lawns, etc.?
It only gets run off from my pond, and I try to avoid chemicals when possible, as there are critters in there!

I'll give a few a try. I had figured that most would have to come in during the winter, but I'm still looking for a few hardies, too.

Cheers
Kat

My Leucos eat yellow jackets and other wasp. All my Sarrs survived a Nebraska winter so they should serve you fine. You can also find a yellow jacket trap and hang it nearby.

I get lots of yellowjackets in my sarrs, but I don't like it because they often make red spots appear on the outside of the pitcher.
mad.gif

Whoa!
Would this be the same grafikat from awgs??!! LOL.
Well, this is a pleasant surprise. Sean is also over here. There are probably other awgs people here that I don't know about. I havn't been here too long.

Warren

My Sars catch so many Wasps and Yellow Jackets the pitchers turn black! I would try a Flava and expand from that if it gos well.

Edit: By black I mean the pitchers look black because of all the bugs inside blocking the light not that thay kill the trap
tounge.gif

See ya,
Jerry

My Sarracenia purpurea catches lots of them.
Some of my other sarrs catch them also, but they are not very big plants yet and the wasps get stuck a little past the opening.

My pitchers are getting black from filling up with ants. What happens when they fill up completely? I don't think I've ever had one tip over from being full, but then again, I've never had them eating ants like this.

This winter when I cut them down, it looked like they were full of dirt. Now that I think about it some more, I guess those were decomposed insect bodies
wow.gif

Back