What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'new' plant

does anyone know if this is a specific plant. I have so many d. capensis of different makes, it isn't funny right now. I have the d. capensis alba, red (seedling) and one other...This is the one that I am wondering about. It looks like a typical d. capensis, EXCEPT the dew is pink. I bought it labeled as a regular d. capensis, but things happen. I will do my best to post a pic. I also have an alba, pink (that is what I am calling this 'new' plant) and typical all flowering at the same time...should be fun to try and x them...

My "wide leaf" has pink tentacles Lol.:laugh:

Their are pink ones. I think some debate on what to call them is still going on. Sometimes ones labled 'Alba' what pink glands and a white flower. But you can get typical's with normal flower and pink glands. I think the debate I saw was if we should call the totally pigment free ones 'White' and the pinkies 'Alba' o_O oh the confusion.

Hi,

I don't think, there are totally pigment free capensis. Even my capensis 'alba' produces slightly red tentacles in very bright light.

Christian

I have all my drosera together, and the alba has no color, clear. the d. capensis, is red. This one is clearly pink, nothing remotely near what the others are. I have all three flowering, so it should be interesting to try a cross...

Like I said their is totally white and then white with pink glands. I know because I was sent two packets of 'alba' seed and one was the all white and the other the pinkesh type. The problem is they both go by the same name right now so it's yucky :p

Hi Bob

What you have is D. capensis 'Albino'.  It is a published cultivar and is often miscalled 'Alba'.  The 'Albino' has a pink cast to the glands which can vary in shade...some being pale, almost white/clear, to noticeably pink.  The word "albino" refers to the white flower...not the tentacles.  Common mistake for people to think 'albino' or 'alba' is a plant with white or clear tentacles. Also, the "dew" itself is actually clear...its gets it color from the gland around which the dew forms.

Here is the published description.  If it fits this description, your plant is D. capensis 'Albino'.  
smile.gif

-------------------------
N: [Drosera ' Albino ' {Borret & Farrow}]
P: J.Carniv.Pl.Soc. Autumn: (1989)
S: =[Drosera capensis {L.}]
HC: Registered 10. 11. 1998 (JS)
B: R.Borret, Oxford; N.Farrow, Felixstowe, Suffolk, early 1988
Nominant: R.Borret & N.Farrow
Description: J.Carniv.Pl.Soc. Autumn: (1989)
"After "growing-on" it became obvious that one plant was unusual for it presented a white flower and not the usual pink colour. The plant was propagated further by leaf cuttings and seed and was found to breed "true" (i.e. white flowers were produced). Another and probably more significant feature of the described form is the lack of red colouration in the leaves and tentacles under various lighting conditions, including strong sun."
Standard: Savage Garden:128 (1998), (only second plant from left)
Propagation: leaf cuttings & seed
Etymology: after the complete lack of anthocyanins

Hope this helps :)  As you can see by the description, the "albino" quality applies to the flower and not so much the leaves, which are mentioned as a secondary characteristic and only described as being not red.  In cultivar terms, if you have a plant of D. capensis with a white flower and with leaves ANY color other than red, then this plant is Drosera 'Albino' unless you register another cultivar further defining the leaf/gland issue. "
-----------------------

(Thanks to Tamlin for previously providing this helpful information [within the brackets] to the never-ending "alba/albino" debate.  
smile.gif
 )

Back