What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New plant...

Hi, I just purchased two small VFT plants from a greenhouse. I am not sure wheather to leave them in the tiny pots or replant them. Can anyone tell me how to replant them, proper soil mix, size of pot.

The tags jus say VFT and they each have approx. 8-10 traps on them, the stems are about 2-3 inches tall and they are in tiny pots, maybe 1-2" type.

Thanks Carol

Hi Carol, and welcome to the forums.

You don't need to transplant them right away, but if you do, most people use peat moss and perlite in equal proportions. You can substitute silica sand for the perlite if you like. I'd transplant into a MINIMUM of a 4inch pot, and preferably bigger.

Remember to use distilled or rain water, and give them tons of light. Oh, and read goldtrap's VFT care sheet at the top of this forum!

Capslock

Welcome to the forums, Carol!
Reading the ICPS's Venus flytrap FAQ might also help
smile.gif

Hmm, my VFT's leaves seems to be going black and drying out, although the conditions seem to be "optimum" for growing VFTs. (You know, humidity, lighting...) I also water my VFT until water drains out from the pots holes underneath the pot. Is it absolutely neccasary to stand the VFT pots in water?

Thanks,
Jason

Jason, I find my VFTs do well when they have ample water. In one pot, the growing tip of the rhizome are usually under water! The traps on this plant average three-quarters of an inch. My VFTs are now facing west and get several hours of hot tropical afternoon sun.

I don't normally give advice on CP's because I am a relative newbie and I don't like parrotting advice I've read or heard - unless I experience things for myself. Now, having said all that, this is what I've experienced: Sometimes taking a plant from Home Depot / Lowes and then to work, where I keep them, the plants go into some kind of shock and shrivel up - but hadn't died. That happened to a butterwort of undetermined species and a D. capensis. My solution was to cover it up for a few days; give it ample light; stable temps; and stable location. Both plants rehydrated and within a week exhibited new growth. the butterwort is now formung a flower bud. With regard to VFT's, mine have had the eastern exposure, with deionized water, in the original pot, placed in a well-washed pretzel container, in ~1" of water, not covered. the traps, within a couple of months went from 1/2" to 1". I have also discovered that few exceptions, people are doing slightly different things, in terms of location, water, soil media, humidity, and temps - but with similar results. I ahve also found that some plants at a retailer are at different states of stress that aren't readily apparent. I lost an S. sarracenia within a week of purchase and I didn't understand why, when it was treated by me, with no differently that my other plants. I replaced it with another that didn't LOOK any different but it is doing well. Bottom line: They need DI or rain or RO or distilled water, adequate light, some water at the bottom of their container, humdity, and air circulation. I have also experienced the blackening of traps and a reduction of size when I experimented and covered the plant entirrely for several days. The opened pretzel container provided the best solution for retaining some humidity and air circulation. It worked for me.

Don't repot untill the end of next years dormency unless the plants seem to be dieing, which doesn't sound like it right now. Be sure to water them with distilled water only and hang out here for a while so you can learn the details before you start experimenting on your own with potting mixes and such
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You don't need to transplant them right away, but if you do, most people use peat moss and perlite in equal proportions. You can substitute silica sand for the perlite if you like. I'd transplant into a MINIMUM of a 4inch pot, and preferably bigger.

I agree that 4 inch pots seem to be ideal for VFTs. Perlite is a matter of personal preference, I prefer sand myself, but either will do fine.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Is it absolutely neccasary to stand the VFT pots in water?

No, but your plant will be MUCH happier if left in a tray of water at least 1/2 inch deep while in active growing phase.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Don't repot untill the end of next years dormency unless the plants seem to be dieing...

It is a generally accepted rule of thumb that VFTs should be repotted in early spring to "minimize shock and stress". I have found that this is not really necessary as long as you take care to not damage the small root system on the plant. I have repotted VFTs at all times of the year and never had any problems of any kind.

For more information on cultivating VFTs check out the FAQ pages located here: http://www.sarracenia.com/faq.html

Good luck with your new plant and Welcome to the forum.
Steve

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ Feb. 15 2004,20:46)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You don't need to transplant them right away, but if you do, most people use peat moss and perlite in equal proportions. You can substitute silica sand for the perlite if you like. I'd transplant into a MINIMUM of a 4inch pot, and preferably bigger.

I agree that 4 inch pots seem to be ideal for VFTs. Perlite is a matter of personal preference, I prefer sand myself, but either will do fine.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Is it absolutely neccasary to stand the VFT pots in water?

No, but your plant will be MUCH happier if left in a tray of water at least 1/2 inch deep while in active growing phase.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Don't repot untill the end of next years dormency unless the plants seem to be dieing...

It is a generally accepted rule of thumb that VFTs should be repotted in early spring to "minimize shock and stress". I have found that this is not really necessary as long as you take care to not damage the small root system on the plant. I have repotted VFTs at all times of the year and never had any problems of any kind.

For more information on cultivating VFTs check out the FAQ pages located here: http://www.sarracenia.com/faq.html

Good luck with your new plant and Welcome to the forum.
Steve
Yah, I repot whenever too, but I see better root growth if I pot at the end of dormencey then during active growth. You know, everyone says 4" pots and what not, but mine really prefer their 2" pots untill they get to be a few years old. Every time I put them in a large pot when they have a little root system they start to have issues and as soon as I put them back, they do fine. I think it mostly because they don't get as many uninvited guest in smaller pots... Actually, I don't have any in 4" pots, my older ones hang out in 6" pots and my youngins in the 2" and 3' pots... do I even own a 4" pot? o_O LOL

Welcome to the forums carol!

Hi Carol -

Welcome to the forums.

My experience has been that the depth is more important than the width of the pot. That's why when I split off small propagated plants I use 4 or 6 inch tall plastic cups that I melt holes in the bottom of. If it's a plant I will use for presentations, I plant in a 6 or 8 inch plastic pot. My soil mix is 50:50 sand and peatmoss. As some folks have already said, it may take a while for the plants to bounce back after bringing them home. I repot at any time of the year, and something that seems to help with the shock is to place a clear cup or jar upside down over the pot for about a week. I have had less casualties this way. Personally, I have found that if you feed the plant small live bugs, they will become more robust although you will likely lose a few traps that way.

20030920-NECPS-%238-CP-display-OPA-Bill%20Matthews-D.muscipula.jpg

200306-CP-D.muscipula-feeding%20on%20blood%20engorged%20tick-animated-WBM.gif

I hope this helps, and good luck with your plants!

WildBill

lol WildBill...that's a TICK! Grossss!
tounge.gif

Carol...welcome to the forums.
smile.gif
Hope you stick around and get CP addicted like everybody else here. Hehe

I too repot whenever I feel like it. I simply remove the entire pot of soil in one hunk...and gently replace it into a larger pot with space made in the fresh media to accommodate the transplant. There is very little root disturbance and I've found no ill effects.

Let us know how your plants are doing.
smile.gif

Suzanne/PAK

HAHAHAHA! Look at all the cute little Sarracenia! What's the age on those little guys?

Thanks everyone for the help. I hope to be around more, you have a wealth of information here.

Carol

Back