What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Pets!

Hey just wanted to share my rats I got a couple months ago. They're really sweet and playful, but still timid like any prey animal would be. But they get excited now when people come into the room and like to come running out on my arms while i sit here at the computer. The light was dim and they are startled by the camera shutter so I could only get these high ISO grainy/blurry shots, they're much cuter in life haha.

Hume is the hooded one here:

rats_0007crop.jpg

Plato is a little older. He must have some of the recessive albino genes because he's almost white with slightly red eyes and he's really blind, even for a rat.

rats_0003crop.jpg

Very cute! :)

Did you ever consider renaming this post, "New Pests"? j/k j/k j/k

I just despise rodents, and think they do much better inside a trap vs. a cage.

At least they're a little bit... cute?

Mmmmmm.... Snake food LOL

Ach! You and Ozzy!

I'm not too fond of rats in general but pet rats are kinda cute. Really not much different than the gerbils I had when I was a kid.

Pets are pets and you love 'em. :)

Nice rats. Nice healthy looking fur and happy to pose for the camera :)

lol hamata but then you need to worry about hair in your food unless they were a full body net.

haha thanks everyone, and i know rats aren't everyones ideal pet, but im a college student in a rental so its a great option for me.

Train them to cook fine cuisine for you.
I wish they could cook for me, but their more like Remy's brother: they eat everything I put in front of them without hesitation, they loved crab and salmon haha.

Did you ever consider renaming this post, "New Pests"? j/k j/k j/k

I just despise rodents, and think they do much better inside a trap vs. a cage.

At least they're a little bit... cute?

Yeah, I guess unlike cats and dogs which could have historically earned their keep with people, rats were(and some still are) pests. But you can't blame them for trying to survive, and theyre damn good at it, theyre some of the smartest rodents by far, not like hamsters haha. But I do think theyre cute, and like other pets you start to get a sense of their "personalities" (hate anthropomorphizing). And like i said as a tenant and since I dont know how long I'll be in one place, their really convinient. To each his own :grin:

Mmmmmm.... Snake food LOL

If I could afford and properly care for a snake, like a ball python, I would. Even if it ment feeding it pinkies. I'd just make sure to keep the pet snake and the PET rats seperate at all times haha.

Such a nice face!

I see "New pets" and what do I get?

RATS!!

My sister had guni-pigs, hamsters and gerbils, but never rats........

Squirrels and chipmunks are cuter I think...

Fodder for Nepenthes tenax perhaps ;)

Yeah, I know the rumours are exaggerated.

lol I like almost every animal but I'd have to say an adult hairless rat would be a bit weird.

Back