What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey tf, i finally got my order, and have a ton of new nepenthes, just wanted to know if you had any tips on growing these as that would really help...ill get pics up hopefullly this weekend and more detail on the plants asap....

n. maxima (huge 2-3ft tall, 10" wide, vining, 5 growth points)
n. glabrata (1 main stem, 2 sideshoots, 6+ inches in diameter)
n. villosa (less than 3" in diameter)
n. spathulata (5-7 inch diameter)
n. spectabilis north sumatra (1 main stem, 2 large sideshoots, 10+ inches in diameter)
n. tentaculata (3-4 inches in diameter)
2 n. tobaica (ones kamils) (mines about 6inches in diameter, kamils is 3-4inches)
n. ampullaria 'green' (halts) (nice 10+ inch plant)
and ill add n. talangensis (from SK) (3 inch plant)

currently im doing the window silll growing method but the plants should be able to go outside in the greenhouse once weather remains at a consistant high, rather than it being high then hitting 30s-40s at night....

to my knowledge these are all highlanders, except the amp, right now i do grow lots of neps..happy to say ive probably hit my 10th or 15th plant :) including these

any help just on where to place them will be greatly appreciated and ill get pics posted ASAP

thanks
dustin

Villosa probably wouldn't mind 30s - 40s at night at all -- in fact that would be ideal, as long as it doesn't freeze.

I'm not too sure I'd be comfortable with putting my villosa outside here in washington....it probably wouldn't freeze but its doing fine indoors, growing and pitchering at a good rate. I'd personally just set up a highland growrack for now or a highland growspace of some kind until your able to stick them out in the gh in a few weeks. I think your climate zone is the same as mine....8b? You could get a way with a cheap terrarium in a cool room for now as well. I nearly freeze myself nightly for my plants over the winter and early spring....hahahha, I have a fan in my bedroom window that I turn on before the lights go out....drops my bedroom temps into the mid to upper 40s or low 50s....

my zone is zone 6...ill probably stick to greenhouse growing/windowsill until temps are reasonable outside cause i like to move them all outside at once...and the greenhouse needs repairs so right now it would be like just putting the plants out there without any or a lot of protection....another thing id be nervous about is the n. villosa is just under 3" in diameter...and if weather does say gets around 40s for low and the greenhouse gets repaired maybe ill put them outside....but usually when we hit 30-40 we get hit with a frost too

Dustin,

I also live in zone 6 and you are doing the right thing as I'm still getting freezes at nighttime and it is still hitting the low 20s at night.

Good luck,

Giovanni

Sounds like a great order! Lookin forward to some great pics...

Heres a couple pics cause kamil and halt want to see there plants...

HALTS
n. amp green (with camera) wow my house is dark
Picture001-1.jpg

n. amp pitcher (with camera on phone)

KAMILS
n. tobaica...yours is the smaller one in the top right (with camera)
Picture002-1.jpg

n. tobaica pitcher on my plant (taken with camera on phone)

and the pics i think that are the best taken with my camera is the acclimation process, Where are the plants? :)

Picture004-1.jpg

Picture005.jpg

once there acclimated ill get pics of each plant...but right now im just gona let them go through the process...look forward to pics of all the plants in 1-2weeks

Is the tall one the maxima?

yup might have to cut it back and possibly make cuttings cause the leaves near the top are drying out? sortof, the bottoms fine though

Back