What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New nepenthes leaves turning black

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I was asked as to why a Nep. that had been puchased from Krogers and had been doing well, would all of a sudden have its new leaves begin to blacken. It is grown indoors,in its original soil, in a hanging basket.

New leaves turning black is a VERY BAD sign. Most likely cause, root rot. Most likely result, sudden death. The plant may have been kept too wet, or moist in cool conditions with not enough light.

I would be severely tempted to cut it up into pieces and try to salvage it from cuttings.

Hamish

Geez, Krogers selling Neps, that to me sounds crazy!

the nep is mine, and yeah kroger had it. when i got it it had a few pitchers and then they all died. i continued watching it and it was doing great. i had lots of new growth and now just this week the new leaves and the stalks the leaves are on started to turn brown. they aren't really turning black. but it's puzzling b/c some leaves are fine but some aren't. so i can cut a few pieces off and try to start a new plant? what should i plant it in? can i put it outside? (i live in tx) thanks for your help!
smile.gif

Yeah, cutting or simply repotting is a good idea here. Repot in a 2:1 ratio of Candian sphagnum peat moss/standard perlite. That's how I grow my N. ventricosa, and it's doing great. What kind of Nep is it? If it's ventricosa, which it probably is, it seems to me that Texas is too hot and maybe not humid enough for it. I know here in Florida in the summer it's way too hot for it. Do you have a glass fishtank it could sit in? Further instructions will follow.

Hey I learned in summer we have a standing (average) 92% humidity. Which is amazing because I could take my bical outside (out of it's terrarium) and not wilt at all. In fat it looks better now. Oh and back to the topic I would recommend making cuttings

i've been using distilled water and about a month ago right before this started my husband was trying to "help" and watered all my plants with tap water. if that's the cause will my plant be ok once it gets over that shock? my sarras died but i didn't even think of that when my leaves started turning. my stupidity i guess!
smile_l_32.gif

Oh. Well then it was probably the tap water.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (prizmbatch @ May 11 2005,9:38)]the nep is mine, and yeah kroger had it. when i got it it had a few pitchers and then they all died. i continued watching it and it was doing great. i had lots of new growth and now just this week the new leaves and the stalks the leaves are on started to turn brown. they aren't really turning black. but it's puzzling b/c some leaves are fine but some aren't. so i can cut a few pieces off and try to start a new plant? what should i plant it in? can i put it outside? (i live in tx) thanks for your help!
smile.gif
When did you buy it, and what kind of Nep?

In June or July of last year, I bought 2 N. coccinea and 1 N. miranda at Kroger. They are both still going strong, and I have made several successful cuttings of both.

Is Kroger again selling CPs?

I'll have to check it out, if so, and see if they have anything else I am missing.

Last time I went to Kroger it was last year in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and it was just a grocery store.

it is just a grocery store.
yeah i bought it in september of last year. i don't know what type it is and when first joied the forum i posted pics and no one else knew wht it was either. when i get a chance i'll post them again so you can see it. the last time i was there (over a week ago) the florist lady kept telling me they were supposed to get some in but i haven't seen any. i'm going to go see again this week some time.

Back