What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Nep potting and acclimating help needed.

I just got a new Nep form a ****** carnivorous plant store and I want to make sure I pot it up right and acclimate it well. Amp x ( Spect x Tal )

The media you use will depend on how humid your area is, how hot, and how much airflow it gets. If it's a bit cooler with less direct light you would want a looser mix that loses water more quickly. If your grow area if hot and has a lot of evaporation you'll want a heavier mix to hold water for longer. A general mix would be pure spaghnum. From there you can add bark, perlite, or pumice in varying amounts to loosen the soil to meet what you think you need based on your conditions. Besides that just keep it in stable conditions. Unless the plant is fresh out of tc, which it shouldn't be, I wouldn't bother with bagging it up.

The media you use will depend on how humid your area is, how hot, and how much airflow it gets. If it's a bit cooler with less direct light you would want a looser mix that loses water more quickly. If your grow area if hot and has a lot of evaporation you'll want a heavier mix to hold water for longer. A general mix would be pure spaghnum. From there you can add bark, perlite, or pumice in varying amounts to loosen the soil to meet what you think you need based on your conditions. Besides that just keep it in stable conditions. Unless the plant is fresh out of tc, which it shouldn't be, I wouldn't bother with bagging it up.

If I do bag it. Do I put water in the bag or just rely on the water in the mix?

I'm not sure as I don't bag new arrivals but you wouldn't want to create standing water in the bottom of the bag in a similar way to how you don't stand neps in a water tray. Just water as normal. One thing you should watch out about bagging is that it'll heat up very quick in direct light and damage the plant so you should keep the plant out of direct sun if you do decide to bag it.

If you bag the plant then it will acclimate to the bag and then you'll have to acclimate it again as you loosen and eventually remove the bag. Just get the acclimation to it's new place over with instead of drawing it out any longer than necessary - which for some species can be very long. No sense having to going through it twice.

I have an N amp x spect and it has been very hardy so far. I’m babying it as it is my first Nep and my house is old and drafty.

9be202033a027583157743d7a7f9609a.jpg
cf9e2a5fb18674c3b48178948f0e5daf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back