What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New laptop complete with wireless Frustration!

• Thread starter EdaxFlamma
  • Start date

EdaxFlamma

The Consuming Flame
I just recently purchased a HP tx2500 tablet for school but for some reason I cannot get the wireless networking to connect. The wireless card build into my new laptop identifies the network, can tell the signal strength etc but when I try to connect it says to check the access point and router. My previous laptop still connects fine to the current network so I don't think it is the router. It does not appear that any firewalls are interfering with it either. I've gone through just about every troubleshooting thread out there and every HP support program I can find. Has anyone had any similar problems? I guess I should mention that this is in Vista as well.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
-J.P.

Do you have any type of security set up on your router? If so, you will need to log into your router using a computer that is physically wired to it (using an Ethernet cable) and check the "wireless security" section. You'll need to write down any encryption keys and specific settings that may be configured. Then you'll need to input those settings into your laptop. It's important to use a computer physically connected to the router. If you don't, the results can be very unpredictable or may not let you log in at all.

If you don't have wireless security set up on your router, I would advise you to do so. It is VERY easy for someone log onto your network otherwise (this means they would have access to your internet connection, as well as any shared files on the network).

What kind of router do you have, I might be able to help you out more if I know what you're working with. It's also helpful to attempt to connect your laptop to the router using the cable first, then move on to connecting with the wireless (this shows that it's not a firewall or some other program blocking it).

Crystal

I have an HP too with vista and had similar problems at first. Did you check the security settings under properties and make sure you have the right security type and encryption? If I remember correctly there are about 15 different ways you can configure that and Vista doesn't figure it out for you so you have to find out on your own. That was the biggest problem I had with my laptop. Once I got that figured out I dont have too many problems any more.

You could try calling HP too, you have about a 50/50 chance of getting someone who knows what they are doing (This is one of the reasons I hate HP and will never buy another one), but at least the speak decent English.

The router is a Westell Versalink Model number: 327W.

I have connected to the router (the only way I've been able to get access thus far). My desktop is connected the router currently and has no troubles. My old laptop works fine with it as well.

Perhaps I need to use the Verizon disk... just thought of that... *hits himself in the face* wow... I'm sorry guys. haha If this doesn't work I'll get back to you!

Thanks!!
-J.P.

And... it didn't work...

Versalink is something you don't see everyday. I used to work for AT&T's DSL Internet service. 'Their' router was the Versalink. I often had to walk people through on how to get their wireless setup with it.

Just to make sure, you can connect to the Internet with your new laptop if you use a cable?

I doubt the Verizon disc will do anything unless that is for the router.

If that doesn't work post back and I'll see if I can help ya out :).

Crystal

I can connect with a cable. That's how I'm talking to you haha.

Oh okay Lol! Well that's good. It means that you don't have a firewall or any other kind of program (some new Antivirus programs block internet, it's annoying) blocking the connection. That means it has something to do with the wireless aspect only.

What operating system do you have on your other laptop that can connect wireless; is it XP or Vista?

The next thing you'll need to do is to log into the router. Have you done this already?

To log in open up Internet Explorer or Firefox (whatever browser you use) and type in 192.168.1.1 in the address bar. It will probably ask for a username and password. If you or someone else set up this information, you'll have to get the info from them. Otherwise:
Username: admin
Password: password

Depending on what firmware you have (how the page is setup) you should have some links across the top. One should be "wireless" . After clicking that, look through and see if any kind of security is enabled, and see if there's any kind of encryption key. The encryption key might be a word,or a long combination of letters and numbers. What you'll need to do, if you have security set up, is to write it all down. When you run the wireless software for the new computer, you'll need to make a new profile and input in that info. It sounds like you do have security set up and your other wireless computer is already configured. It has to match exactly or it will not work. These settings do not affect the wired connection.

I hope I'm not confusing you.

Finally... we got it set up. Thank you all so much. Apparently there was a software upgrade that the company that had sold us the router doesn't make available until you call tech support. It wasn't really meant to run with Vista then a billion people complained so they patched it... did have to do with the firmware tho. Now we have a secure connection!

8 hours later it works. Thank you all for your help and support!!!

With many thanks and a fried brain,
-J.P.

p.s. Crystal that wasn't supposed to be a snappy comment haha I really didn't mean it the way it sounded *re read it later and was like O.O* so sorry about that!

Lol! No problem J.P. I re-read some of my comments too, they might have sounded a bit snappy, sorry :blush:.

Glad you found out what it was. I did some research, and did read an article regarding the fireware, but only found one article stating so. That would have taken awhile to figure out. I usually try to avoid firmware upgrades due to the possibility of something going wrong with it. Glad ya got it!!

Crystal

Na you're good! I appreciate the help a lot! I am now talking to you via my new wireless connection!

The orchids are doing quite well by the way! How's everything on your end?

Is it possible to hijack your own thread? haha *rolls eyes*

Back