What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New judith hindle

I just recieved a baby judith hindle from a local nursery and the pot has a lot of junk{weeds and diff. grasses} in it. when I tried to pull some of the grass out and it began to uproot the pitcher plant as though its roots are entangaled with the pitcher plants roots. My question is should I rinse the dirt off and untangle the roots and repot the judith hindle.
Thanks for your help and I hope I didn't double post.

Just trim the grass as short as you can with scissors. This will eventually kill it (no leaves for photosynthesis). Repotting now, especially if your going to be messing with the roots, would likely cause some shock to the plant and slow or stop its growth for a while. I would wait to repot 'till next spring just before your Sarracenia comes out of dormancy.

thanks for the reply. I trimmed all the weeds and grasses down as far as I could with some small bonsai clippers and put and very thin layer of my own mix of sand and peat moss on top of all the junk. It looks much cleaner now and there are six little healthy pitchers breaking through the soil.

thanks again.
smile.gif

Back