What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New idea, need thoughts and suggestions

OK, here's the plan... try to follow me on this...

I have one 55 gallon fish tank, that I'm using for my piranha. I also have one 10 gallon tank. Now I was treing to get rid of the tank and my piranha all together, but when I cam across this form the light bulb in my head went on at full blast.

So this is what I did so far...

I placed the 10 gallon inside the 55 gallon, and than put the fishy in the 10G. So make the rest of the tank free for anything else I want . Now the 10G has everything the fishy needs so don't worry, he has his filter and all and even a heater. Here's a picture of what I just described...

Oct28_001.jpg

Ok moving on...

I want to use the remaing space to grow VFT's... I plan on puting soil 3" from the top of the 10 gallon line, I want to put more soil but I'm not sure what I should do, anyway, the madness continues... So as you can see once everything is done the 10 gallon will look like a pond once all the soil and plants are in place and will also help with the humidity since it's being heated by the heater.

Oct28_002.jpg

Now from top of the 55G to the top of the 10G is 7 3/4", is this enough to grow VFT's? It is also 24" from the left side of the 55G to the left side of the 10G

Ok for the part I'm going to need help with...

From what I've read you folks don't like to water your VTF's from the top you rather use the saucer, so i want to build a layer with the same concept just a bigger scale.

I want to have some kind of tubing from the top layer to the water layer so all I have to do is pour water in the top tube and monitor the level of the water from water layer. Now the water layer should be of plastic material and should have a sturdy bottom and a top with many holes so the soil can soak it up.

Now another problem is...

What do I do with all that free space under the water layer what do I fill it with? Could I possible fill it from bottom to top with soil? Is that too much soil?

I hope this made some sence, any questions, thoughts, ideas, tip tricks, are all welcome, just don't laugh, thanks.

Oct28_003.jpg

Not a good idea to plant vfts in there as they need dormancy.You could put some tropical sundew or pings in there.

Jerry

dormacy can be delt with the normal way, pluck and freeze... what you think of the rest

I guess it would work.It seems like a pain to dig up the vft for drmancy.

Jerry

to be honest i want to experamint with gibberellic acid... plant hormone that increases size and eliminates dormacy

Oh anybody try MegaGro MegaGro
Doesn't have to be with CPs any plants that is, is the purity high enough?

cool idea in theory..
but in practice, its quite bad for everything in there, plant and animal..
the 10 gallon is WAY WAY WAY too small for the fish,
and the plants need a natural dormancy..
the fish would be MUCH better off having the entire 55 gallons to itself,
and the plants would be MUCH better off being in pots outside, going slowly dormant through autumn, then being truly dormant all winter..

If you are going to keep pets (and im including the VFT's as "pets" ;)
you should give them the best care that you are physically able to give..
the pets should come first, not you..
you are making something that you think is cool, but at the expense of all your pets.
I think its a bad idea..
the fish should go back in the 55 gallon, since you actually have a 55gallon tank for it! and have the whole tank to itself..
and the VFT's should also be given better care..
you are able to provide better for both your plant and animal pets than this idea..
Scot

Back