What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New hybrid

Pinguicula 'Sethos' x Pinguicula esseriana seedlings. Is it safe to distribute them?

I know two people interested - me and BCK.

But the thing is, it sometimes isnt safe to distribute offspring of cultivars and hybrids

Would you elaborate on that? What are the ramifications?

say what?
rock.gif
tounge.gif

How is it "not safe", what would "happen" if you distribute them? is the question jimscott was asking... I'd be interested in growing it also!
Andrew

I had heard that F-2 hybrids weren't good.... (the sethos would be f-2 in this hybrid)

In what way(s) were they no good? Was it their health or their phenotype? did they not look like they were supposed to?

Sigh. There is no problem distributing them as long as you correctly label them as what they are , IMHO.
I know in "Savage Garden" , Peter mentions that he destroys the seed his hummingbirds make, as he has no idea what pollen ends up in what plant. P. 'John Rizzi' came from some "hummingbird mix" seed, I believe.
Anyhow, maybe that is where the idea of not distrubting them came from.

Regards,

Joe

F2 hybrids may not come true to the standard cultivar description, in which case they may not be regarded as the cultivar. Sure, you can redistribute the material before confirming this, but you may not use the cultivar *name* until you have determined that the plant conforms to the standard. In this case the flower is essential for the determination, so no plants should be distributed by this name prior to their flowering.

I'm sure the plants don't care, though, and they will make nice pets for us CP lovers.
biggrin.gif

F2 hybrids could cause potential identification issues for collectors in the future. Not everyone maintain the records thoroughly.

Wait a minute. This discussion is missing an important point. Spectabilis73 said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Pinguicula 'Sethos' x Pinguicula esseriana seedlings
This is not a F2 hybrid issue and he did not say that he would distribute the seedlings as 'Sethos' or even 'Sethos' F2. The breeding would be clear that the plants were not the cultivar, but were the offspring of 'Sethos' x esseriana.

To be perfectly safe, one could call the offspring [(ehlersiae x moranensis) x esseriana], but it provides more information about the parents to use 'Sethos' x esseriana, because 'Sethos' is a particular genetic expression of the ehlersiae x moranensis breeding.

In my Photo Finder, I have links to 'Sethos' x gypsicola and 'Sethos' x moranensis fraser.

Back