What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Home Depot Nepenthes

Today I went to Home Depot for some perlite and I saw 2 trays of CP. They were mixed together, some plants from Bloom-Rite Nurserymen's Exchange INC and some from Gubler's. They we all messed up, some plants out of the plastic containers (BloomRite) or had the cups taken off the pots (Gubler's). So the plants from both companies could have easily been switched around if the workers put the pots with the inapropriate labeling. I couldn't resist when I saw this guy, it was 10times bigger than the rest. The pot is on top of plastic that the plant was in, and it has growing instruction for VFT, so i'm assuming it WAS incurrectly placed in the wrong container.

I'd just like to know if this look's like any of the Nepenthes anyone has from Gubler's? It's in a 3" pot and 8" leaf span. It's really dark green, but it looks brighter in the picture on my computer.

NEWNEP.JPG

BTW, Home Depot didn't have any perlite so I got orchid bark (1" pieces or less) and vermiculite. I usually grow Nepenthes in LF Sphagnum but I can't get any unless I want to take a trip to California Carnivores.
So instead I mixed equal parts orchid bark, vermiculite, and peat moss. Will that work?

I believe that would be bloomrite! I bought some exactly like that from a local nursery, said bloomrite on the box and had those same covers. Thats a great deep green too! Mine was alot lighter and turned out to be a ventrosica! Ive heard that also (gubblers or bloom) have judith finn.

Also, you said you live in the bay area. You can get everything from osh. Thats where i get my pelite vermiculite sand peat sphagnum etc. Cheap too, 6 bux for 28 liters.

The only perlite available at OSH is the miracle grow brand...
Miracle Grow fertilizer= Dead Plants.
They stopped supplying the regular kind (uni-gro)
sad.gif

I do get my SunShine Canadian Sphagnum Peat and Uni-Gro Sand at OSH though. Hopefully Miracle Grow Sand won't be invented.
biggrin.gif

Do you know if your plant is N. ventricosa "red"? I own 3 of these, hopefully it's a different species or at least a different form of ventricosa!

So will Nepenthes survive in equal parts peat moss, orchid bark, and vermiculite? The plant is less than half the wieght it was before.

Tim, I think I remember identifying one of your unknown plants as Nepenthes ventricosa a few weeks ago? Could this be the same plant you are talking about? I thought it was from Gubler's though.

Well thats funny how we identified each others N. ventricosa for each other! If mine still turns out to be one anyway, hopefully not! But 8" leaf span for $4 is a steal even if it is another ventricosa.
smile.gif

How big was yours when you got it, and how big is it now?

My gubler's is definatly ventrata...

Statik,

I'm pretty sure that your plant is N sanguinea, even though it only has the leaves to identify it by. I got one a few months ago, and it looked EXACTLY like yours. Here's a pic of mine from the top to compare.

lo_N_sanguinea_1a.jpg

and a close up of a pitcher for future reference.

lo_N_sanguinea_p1.jpg

I also think that your mix of peat, vermiculite,  and orchid bark will work fine. I used to use vermiculite all the time, but I sort of ran out and I haven't gotten my lazy arse in gear to buy more! DOH!
wow.gif

Joel

Oh, and one more thing: the dark green color of your plant is probably due to fertilizer. The people of Home Depot honestly don't have a clue!  
mad.gif

Joel

Back