What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New green "greenhouse"

Very nice. Spending all that money on grade 1 wood means you have to use fibreglass rather than plasic!!

I like it, its coming along good! Good luck as well!
Kevin

Additional information about greenhouse:

1. I have an evaporative cooler rated at 6500 CFM, which of course, will cool the incoming air as it adds moisture (humidity) to it. North Side of Greenhouse showing evaporative cooler (background) and tarp covered backup generator (foreground)

2. Expecting the possibility of 120F (48.8C) or better and that the evaporative cooler can usually only reduce the temp by approximately 20F (11C) depending on the relative humidity. I have a backup system which begins in an auxillary shed, the water shed, which starts with a 10,000 gpd R.O. system and ends with a dual controlled (humidistat/thermostat) ultra fine, misting system that may reduce the temp another few degrees, but, more importantly will greatly increase the humidity, which I hope will make up the difference for the plants stress levels.

3. The bottom 1/3rd of the North wall as you can see in the images is covered with wood panels, the top 2/3 will be covered with milk white polycarbonate panels, the other three sides will be covered with clear polycarbonate panels and, of course, the roof will be a double layer of inflated poly which I can coat with varying degrees of white reflective coatings to reduce the light entering the greenhouse during the hottest part of the day.

East side of Greenhouse where tuberous Drosera will be grown in sand beds

Your greenhouse looks great. I have the room, the dreams, but not the money. You may not want to answer this question but, how much do you think it will cost when completed?

Does your backup generator start automatically or do you need to start it in the event of a power fialure?

Keep the updates coming it's great to hear about someones experiences before heading down the road myself.

Glenn

Very nice. I too have the dream, can work out the money, but not enough time. Can't wait to see the finished project.

Witt

It's coming along well. You might want to consider using shadecloth to further reduce the heat. I use 70% shade for Pings, and Droseras outdoors. Sarrs, flytraps, and some dews grow well with full sun. Shade cloth should reduce the temperature quite a bit.
The tuberous dews for the East side sounds interesting, but nutrients and minerals from the surrounding soil might mix with the sand after a while.

Joe, very very nice!

I agree with Mike 100% shade cloths are a great asset to a greenhouse. I just put my 60% shade cloth on and still with just the fan vents open and the shade cloth on, it will easily reach 90F when the sun is only patially out. With the sun fully out the vents are wide open and your lucky if it will cool off to 80F. That's why I need to get that thermostat ordered sometime soon.
wink.gif
I just placed my order for my swamp cooler pads which will be cut and fit between 2 gutter, then the fan and water pump will finish my homemade cooler. So far the cooler has cost about $30.00. I will provide a pictorial tour of it when I begin construction of it. I also installed an $8.00 manual backup misting system that runs off of a 1 gallon pressure sprayer. I can obtain 80% humidity with it in about 5 minutes.

Good job though! It will be a great greenhouse once it is completed!

Back