What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Babies!!!

Just wanted to share some of my new babies!

Drosera indica seedlings... I harvested the seeds a few months ago, shortly before the mother plant passed away...

1564767816_a0a4c38c63.jpg

NICE! a great species. could you tell us of your germination techniques?

Hi Obregon!!

Sure... well, I just sorta sprinkled it on top of some media in my terrarium and - thats it! ... It took about a month, and now... here they are!! My terrarium is a 50 gallon tank - avg. temp is 80ish. Its partially covered with plexiglass to keep some humidity in but there are openings large enough for air circulation. The terrarium is lit up at least 12 hours a day. I turn it on when I leave for work, and turn it off when I get home.

After collecting the seeds, I was not sure if any stratification was needed at all. I kept the seeds in a cool dry place for about a month - in a paper envelope because I was figuring out where to plant them. I'm sorta out of room in my tank so, I gave some seeds away to some friends.

This was actually my "test" batch. I have a few more seeds that I kept because I want to try to germinate them in my greenhouse once its set up. I have also noticed indica seedlings in other pots in my terrarium. D. indica can be a bit of a runner!

Yes, I do agree that it is a great species! Here are some photos of it embracing a meal... (this is the mother plant, the photos taken about January of last year.)

1228800657_4af05e394f.jpg

1229664146_8ec2b7d3b7.jpg

I love this species! It almost reminds me of a Byblis turned Drosera, which makes me want to grow it someday.

Back