What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New aqaurium!

trashcan

O:-)
Hi all..

I have been really busy moving into my new apt, and I decided to take a quick break today to share some pictures.
smile.gif

I set up a new aquarium a few days ago. It's very small, 3 gallons, but I thought I would start small and see if the fish survive.

guppy1.jpg

guppy2.jpg

guppy3.jpg

There currently isn't any gravel in the aquarium, it's sitting in my room, hehe. Like I said, very little free time. The picture in the background is a beautiful picture drawn for me by my girlfriend, Terri.

Pat

I used to have a fish tank, I loved it. Until one day when I wasn't thinking I cleaned the algae off the glass with a regular dish sponge, and the chemicals in the sponge killed all my beautiful fish
sad.gif
I was so sad. What kind of fish are those TC? I like
smile.gif

Nice set up Pat
smile.gif
And I like the picture that Terri drew too.
A very peaceful scene
biggrin.gif

Sorry to hear about your fish.. I know how that feels, I have had some bad luck with fish too (including my cats snacking on them
wow.gif
).

They are guppies... One male and two females. See the third pic? The male is chasing one of the females around the tank
smile.gif
I'm hoping they will have little guppies. One of the female guppies is noticably (sp&#33
wink.gif
larger then the other, but I think she has just been pigging out too much.
smile.gif

And thank you for the compliment on the pic too, I love that picture.
smile.gif

I hope you pre-ecycled that fish tank with water, gravel or ornaments from a pre-existing tank full of nitrosonomas bacteria or those poor fancy guppies are gonners.
Nowadays, Guppies have been interbred so much they are very weak fish genetically in terms of stress induced disease immunity and are no longer the "good to break in a tank" fish they once were in the 70s & 80s - despite what they may tell you at the fish shop. Please keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrites level (go buy a few testing kits) for the next 60-90 days and do dechloinated water changes whenever ANY noticeable amount shows up. My personal favorite dechlorinator is AmmoniaX which removes ammonia, chloine, choromines and hard nutrients but it is not good for use on shrimp/invertebrate aquaria due to the minute additions of formeldehyde in the AmmoniaX formula, but for fish and aquatic plant tanks only I love it.

I don't intend to be any kind of buzz-kill, I just want to help you keep your fishies alive as long as possible!  
smile.gif

PM me (or other known fish nuts) with any ? you might have and we'll be glad to help you, I'm sure of it!

Good luck - feed light and keep those elbows wet (do lots of water changes)!
biggrin.gif

Hi swords. I am not actually using the guppies to "break in" the terrarium, these are the only fish I'm planning on putting in there (unless a really sharp looking bottom feeder catches my eye...). I put the water in about two weeks and let the filter and water do its thing for a little wihle to help break it in.. I also used distilled water.. Unfortunately, I don't have any spare cash for any testing tools (and there are a few things I need to get before I get that, like a heater&#33
wink.gif
but I will be upgrading steadily. As for the gravel, its all brand new and will be washed thoroughly before going in... I just haven't had the time actually...

PS: Speaking of the "fish they were in the 70's and 80's".. I used to have some wild guppies.. and they were amazing. I would pay almost anything (well almost anything under $5.00, hehe). I don't know if you ahve seen them, but they are very active, very pretty (a different kind of coloring though) and very .. umm.. active reproducers? hehe.
smile.gif
Lots of baby guppies... <sigh>.. If i see any though, I'm buying them.
smile.gif
I have another 20 gallon aquarium I could set up if I found some.

anyway.. Thanks for the advice, no "buzz-kill" felt, any advice is appreciated.

Pat

Ooh...beautiful pic and tank!
smile.gif
One more tip...I wsa made aware of this by someone when I wanted to put aquarium rocks in my CP tank...wash the rocks very carefully before you add them to the tank, they can carry all sorts of things.
wink.gif

That's all, good luck!
smile.gif

My mom's been breeding feeder guppies for a couple years, and has started on mollies. If you want guppies to breed, try a little salt in the water, and maybe add some plants.

I use to have a 30-gallon tank. I called it "The Tank Of Terror". I had a South American Bluegill, Oscar, and one huge crayfish. I aslo want to put in the Red-belly pirana and a Garpike. O'well. I wish had the 30-gallon tank now - the storage shed I had collapsed and broke the tank.

travis

Hey guys! If you want to shop around for cheap large tanks, look on Ebay, or if you have the equivalent of a 'Cash Converters' in the US (basically a pawn shop, but pretty decent stuff at decent prices), you should be able to find really nice big tanks without lids for really cheap. Even our local pet stores sell the tanks cheap without lids and accessories.
smile.gif
I got my 23 gallon tank new from our local pet store "Pisces Pet Imporium" for $40 Canadian.
wink.gif

Back