What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New and need help

Hi

What kind of soil is needed to grow Nepenthes ampullaria, and what amount of wattage from an incandescent bulb?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
N. ampullaria can grow in peat moss, peat moss and perlite or LFS. just keep it wet, warm and humid and youll be fine.

as far as the light goes. incandescent will NOT work. i repeat. will NOT. buy fluorescent tubes and a fixture.
Alex

Long Fibered Sphagnum Moss. You can buy it at Lowes, Home Depot or your local garden center.

a couple of 40W bulbs should do it (2 or 3). N. ampullaria can take low light. I'd try a peat and perlite mix if I were you, pure long fibered Sphagnum compacts over time, which is annoying x)

Welcome to TF! Everybody has their favorite recipe for Neps but the common element is that they require good drainage. Perlite and sand provide that, as well as a few other things. I would also try to maintain a good 12 hours of lighting, since they are essentially Equatorial plants.

you can grow pretty much any nep with a couple of fluorescent lights
cool white, or Daylight spectrum tubes will be good for a small terrarium or grow shelf.
as far as media goes
i use 1 part LFS 1 part perlite or an orchid bark, peat, perlite, vermiculite mixture.

make sure to keep it warm and humid N. ampullaria is a lowlander.

N. ampullaria accepts wetter conditions than most Nepenthes. Therefore I use a mixture with 2/3 lfs, and 1/3 orchid bark or pumice. With wet, humid conditions, this Nepenthes will even grow in highland conditions.

Back