What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New addition

• Thread starter schloaty
  • Start date

schloaty

Staff member
DVC00095.JPG

Got this beauty on Monday!

What is it, a highland or a lowland?
confused.gif
I've heard of it but just can't quite remember jejeje

Neps of Sumatra says lowland but I know one member of this site grows (or has grown in the past) N. eustachya as a highlander. I grow mine (red & white form) as an extreme lowlander (85-95*F days, 70-75*F nights). It grows and pitchers well but has very short pitcher lifespan of only a couple months, the leaves last a very long time. I think it would do very well as an intermediate and have longer pitcher lifespan.

I have not seen one grown in a dim environment (mine grows 8-10" below 240 watts of flourescents) but the leaves of my N. eustachya exudes a huge amount of wax (like plant sunblock). So much wax that you can scrape it off under a fingernail and sometimes so much it collects and makes wax globules here and there on the leaves!

A neat easy plant! Have fun!

According to "nepenthes university" this plant can take realatively low humidity (for a nep, that is). So I have elected to try growing it outside of the lowland chamber on my plant shelf. I think I may need to find a way to give it more light, though, as it's only under two tubes. I guess I could just put it closer to the lights...

They could probably take cool conditions for a bit but long term they are deffinately not a highland plant! I agree also that it would make a good candidate for windowsill plant in areas that have at least moderate humidity.
Tony

Back