What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nepenthes

uphwiz

jimmy
I was hoping to find out if its ok to repot nepenthes ventricosa the mis was pulled out by a bird this summer when i went to bring it in for winter i just added it back from around the hanging basket it was in the mix is fairly broken down and somewhat slimey any thoughts anyone

Jimmy

Slimey soil doesn't sound too good.

If you have a nice indoor growing area with bright light, high humidity and proper temps there shouldn't be a problem. I used to always make my Nepenthes cuttings on December 31st/New Years Eve but they all grew in terrariums and had practically no change in conditions over the course of the year so repotting and cutting any time of the year didn't matter.

One who's been outside all year and then has to deal with being moved inside by a window where it's darker and drier than outside then combined with repotting might be too much of a culture shock for it. I can't say since mine never saw the light of day once they were put in the terrariums. Depending on how bad the soil is it may be necessary to just do it and find out.

Thanks Swords I looked a little closer at the media below it looks fine, and I do think its beginning to show a little growth Your right I think I'll keep it inside nest year, it didn't do much outside, it only has the pitchers it had in the spring and developed not one more all summer I am sure the three new developing have began to swell in just a couple weeks I do keep a humidifier at the window stays around 60 % most of the time and exrta light two 40 watt grow florescent 4 ft and two 20 watt grow florescent 2 foot.
and most of my other nep.s do great, gymnaphora just seems to ebb along but i've had it for a year or a little more and it just keeps on , so i'm keeping it looks great with my orchids in the window garden.

Jimmy

If it's only slimy on top, it might be algae. You can spray it down firmly with a squirt bottle when you water to break down the algae colonies. Don't spray with a mist - turn the nozzle of your bottle to the other end so that it sprays a solid stream of water, and really blast the slime so that it breaks apart. If you disturb it often enough (like daily/every other day,) it'll go away. Once the nutrients in the top layer of media have been depleted, the algae shouldn't come back.
~Joe

Wow Thanks Joe I'll give that a try It doesn't look like i need to repot after all
Jimmy

Back