What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes. Yellowing stem. Help/advice

• Thread starter nero89
  • Start date
Hi.
So I've recently been interested in carnivorous plants, (i mostly have orchids). Anyways I bought a nepenthes about a month ago and the stem is starting to go yellow, which I suspect might be as a result of root rot. (See photos).
Just wondering if you can give me some advice on what you think it might be and if I could save it in anyway, (possibly taking a cutting higher up).
Potting medium is spag moss with perlite.
Regards Nero.
(Edit, having trouble uploading photo's. will be up soon.)

What species is it? And what are the conditions that you are growing it in?

Nepenthes maxima. Growing in greenhouse with adequate shade.

You'll want to upload the pictures to an image hosting site like imgur then link them here. The image hosting sites will provide BBCode which you can copy directly into your post.

From what you've said so far I wouldn't be too worried. Nepenthes stems will slowly yellow and then turn woody with age. I've noticed that this can be sped up a bit if conditions change like you would see in recently bought plants. However, there isn't any harm in cutting back on watering as long as the media doesn't dry out below the surface.

Yeah pictures will definitely help. How does the new growth look?

SPYsu

Ok. Hopefully that should work.
Nepenthes - Album on Imgur
Apologies, was trying to do this all from my iPhone. Hopefully that link should work.

Last edited:
Looks normal to me. When a leaf dies back the stem will turn brown and woody like that starting from the base of the leaf and moving down the stem. When it starts moving up the stem instead, then you have a problem.

Back