What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes x trichocarpa (gracilis x ampularia)

Hello,
I just ordered an N x Trichocarpa from Cook's Carnivorous plants. My terrerium is getting a little bit full, and I was wondering if anyone had grown this plant and had any thoughts on growing it outside a terrrerium?
Any help would be appreciated.
smile.gif

ati

P.S. I was planning on misting it once or twice a day to keep it moist.

In my experience that plant is a little tricky in intermediate conditions. Unless you have a warm house, it'll be very hard. But you'll never know, it just might work!
biggrin.gif

N. trichocarpa is a great fast growing easy hybrid, in well lit & humid LOWLAND conditions. I had mine in intermediate conditions and it grew OK during summer and fall but lagged in winter. But overall it grows much faster in true lowland conditions.

ati,
I don't grow that hybrid as a windowsill plant but I do grow N. gracilis and N. ampullaria as windowsill plants. N. gracilis does well but N. ampullaria tends to be more finicky for me. Generally, hybrids can be more sturdy to fluctuations than some true species. I'd give it a try as a windowsill plant. However, watch for direct light through the window as it can burn leaves. You may want to provide a catch saucer to trap excess water to boost humidity around the plant as it adapts to lower humidity initially. Be careful over time. Nepenthes don't like sitting in standing water and can rot out. Especially if there is lack of air movement around the moss. Also, try not to disturb the roots if possible. The less stress to the plant, the better chance of success to adapting to new environments. Hope that helps ya.

Good growin'
Joel

A windowsill is not advisable. That is a hybrid between two lowland plants. Lowlanders like high temperatures. You can grow it there for a time, but health will most likely diminish, and/or growth will slow, and will stop pitchering. You will most likely be able to put in in the terrarium to save it if you catch it in time though. I'd give it a try though, i had a bicalcarata produce a pitcher on my windowsill!

Back