What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes x "home depot"

I was at Home Depot the other day, and I noticed in the house plants section a single, sad looking pot with a clear plastic cup on top sitting by itself in back of some regular house plants. Immediately I thought "CP!". It was unlabeled (for price), and the only cp in the store, apparently. I was pleased to see it was a nepenthes, and that it was still alive. The "care" label simply said Nepenthes ssp. It is from Gublers Orchids, according to the label.

I brought it to the front, and asked how much they wanted for it. They said $4.75, and I figured I needed to buy it. (My name is Capslock, and I'm a Nepenthaholic.)

So, here it is a few days later:
N.%20x%20Home%20Depot.JPG

As you can see, it's clearly alive, and I figure it's got to be a hardy variety. But I have no idea what it is. The dying pitcher isn't of much help to me, but maybe for one of you? It's actually kinda fun having a mystery nep!

Capslock

Hmmmm. It's still quite young, and there's no "full" pitcher....your guess is as good as mine! The likelyhoods are: x 'judith finn,' x 'ventrata,' and N. ventricosa....possibly it could be a few others....

I'm not much help, I guess.
sad.gif

I'm pretty sure it's not N. ventricosa. I have a couple of those, and the leaf shape and color, plus the growing pattern are really different. Also, the dying pitcher seems pretty fat on the bottom, and very narrow at the lid, not like my young ventricosa pitchers. Plus, it has "wings" on it that ventricosas lack.

I hope it's an x 'judith finn'. I've been wanting one of those!

Capslock

My first nep came in one of those plastic pots...unidentified of course. It turned out to be a ventricosa. And the baby pitchers did have fringed wings. It wasn't until the pitchers started gaining some size that the wings disappeared and the color came in. The photo looks like my ven.

So don't discount the ventricosa. Were your others as small/young when you got them? If not, maybe you missed the winged stage.

Suzanne

Gubler's has at least 3 different Nepenthes that they sell. I recently purchased one, and I'll try to post some pics soon.

Here's one of the pictures.

Gubler'sNepenthesPitcher1_1.jpg

All of the pics are at:

Gubler's Nepenthes

since they will probably take up too much bandwidth if posted together.

My Lowes nepenthes is doing very well. Still not sure what species or possibly hybrid it may be. I will post a photo soon. I believe it has 5 pitchers on it currently. Some have a hint of red in them.

Ok, here is my Lowes's Nepenthes:

NepFromLowes.jpg

NepFromLowesUrn1.jpg

NepFromLowesUrn.jpg

Here is what it looked like when I bought it:

NepenthesUnknownPlant.jpg

Nick,
That looks exactly like one of mine! What is it?
Kevin

Nick,

I'm pretty sure that's a N. ventricosa.

Nick,

Yours does look like a ventricosa, or alata (or ventrata). I have two ventricosas, and my plant from home depot difinitely looks different, especially in the leaf shape. Also, my dying pitcher looks different. With any luck, it's a judith finn, as I want one of those.

Emesis, yours looks like a Maxima to me, but who knows?

Capslock

Capslock,

I think you might be right!

I was so bent on that it's a N. maxima hybrid (since both the Listserv archives and the label mentioned that it's a hybrid) that I missed the obvious. The pitchers matched more of the N. maxima plants' pictures than its hybrids.

If this plant is a N. maxima, then it is kind of ironic that I ended up buying a N. maxima before my friend gotten around to send me his cutting as he was delayed. Hopefully, his plant's form is different than my plant's.

At least I saved it from a certain death if it remained at Home Depot.

Cap's your nep could be a N. Sanguinea. ecause of the leafs, they look very similar to a sanguinea.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Emesis @ June 08 2003,04:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Here's one of the pictures.

All of the pics are at:

Gubler's Nepenthes

since they will probably take up too much bandwidth if posted together.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
what is this plant id i got one exactly like this one today

Looks like a Maxima, or a Maxima hybrid, J. None of us are sure what are Gubbler's Neps are yet.
smile.gif

Capslock

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Emesis @ June 07 2003,3:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Here's one of the pictures.

All of the pics are at:

Gubler's Nepenthes

since they will probably take up too much bandwidth if posted together.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
call me crazy, but it looks like a rafflesiana x maxima x sanguinea hybrid, or at least looks like it has rafflesiana and sanguinea in it

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Capslock @ June 06 2003,12:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I was at Home Depot the other day, and I noticed in the house plants section a single, sad looking pot with a clear plastic cup on top sitting by itself in back of some regular house plants. Immediately I thought "CP!". It was unlabeled (for price), and the only cp in the store, apparently. I was pleased to see it was a nepenthes, and that it was still alive. The "care" label simply said Nepenthes ssp. It is from Gublers Orchids, according to the label.

I brought it to the front, and asked how much they wanted for it. They said $4.75, and I figured I needed to buy it. (My name is Capslock, and I'm a Nepenthaholic.)

So, here it is a few days later:
N.%20x%20Home%20Depot.JPG

As you can see, it's clearly alive, and I figure it's got to be a hardy variety. But I have no idea what it is. The dying pitcher isn't of much help to me, but maybe for one of you? It's actually kinda fun having a mystery nep!

Capslock[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I just sent a e-mail to the gublers people, here is what i said:
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hello,
    I'm a carnivorous plant grower from central california, a member of the BACPS. A good freind of mine recently bought a Nepenthes at a local home depot, but we're stumped on what it is. What species of Nepenthes does Gublers sell? Please respond
smile.gif

Thanks in advance
John[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Thanks Spec. I was just at Home Depot today trying to fix my terrarium hood lights (see "General Discussions" forum). They had just received a shipment of Gubler's stuff, and I saw a couple Neps that were like the Maxima (x?) listed above. They look nothing like the one I got, which has fatter leaves.

They also had some vfts from "Mainland" nursery, as well as from Gublers. The Mainland ones didn't have clear plastic cups on top, and seemed pretty healthy, all things considered.

Capslock

We ahve asked Gublers what they had before, and I believe the response was something along the lines of "we Don't Know".
smile.gif

they are pretty plants though...

I would like to report i have now had one living outside for about 5 days, and have not has so much as even a pitcher burn off.

I am thinking of moving the rest out there, to see what happens.

Ram,

I have a Maxima living outside at my house in San Francisco. I've only had it for a couple weeks, but it seems to be doing fine. It's been getting down to 55 degrees or so at night, and it's been foggy and cool almost every day. I bought it, transplanted it into new media and a new pot, and put it outside all at once. It still looks great.

I know some of the N. x "home depot"s have a lot of Maxima in them, if they're not pure Maxima, so they should do OK. Maximas can get down to freezing for brief periods, apparently. I was talking to Peter D'Amato (of California Carnivores) the other day and he said a friend of his had a Maxima growing well outside for several years before a big freeze in 1996 killed it. Even in coastal California, however, there are serious micro-climates. My parent's house in Sonoma experiences frosts and freezes consistently every winter, but here in San Francisco, it's very rare.

Capslock

Back