What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes winter woes!

Hi
A while back I mentioned that my N.maxima x mixta plant wasn't doing too well. Well here are a couple of photos of it:

n.maxima%20x%20mixta2.jpg

A number of leaves have developed these brown edges very quickly after opening. I have checked for leaf burn but don't think that is the cause.

n.maxima%20x%20mixta.jpg

A number of leaves have had these brown marks running along the middle of the underside of the leaf. Also some have been distorted. I have sprayed but not seen any pests.

The growth has been very much slower since I got the plant in 1997. In the first year or so it produced a 4 foot stem. Since pruning it back the stems have barely grown 6 inches!

Here is a different plant. A cu of a N. maxima

n.maxima%20cu.jpg

This plant has put on a lot of growth this year. But since the much colder weather recently has developed these brown patches on several of its stems and leaves. The new growth on this particular shoot looks odd and distorted. This light brown patches are appearing on new growth. The main stem at the moment is less affected, though all its pitchers are now dieing back. I have had this plant since 1990 and don't to lose it!

Both plants along with the bulk of the others are in a greenhouse heated to 50F during the night. It rises to about 65-70 during the day. These are the same sort of conditions I have always grown my plants.

Any ideas as to there current problems?

cheers

bill

Bill, that looks kind of like what's happening to my plants. Are you sure it's not sun burn? Say, several days of foggy weather, then a sudden sunny day?

I hope you and I get some good advice.

looks like your plants are getting to cold at night

I have moved the N.maxima indoors into my kitchen, in case it is cold damage. Though it has had more extreme conditions in earlier winters to put up with, and been okay.
The maxima x mixta developed the brown patches long before winter took a hold. It might be sunburn. I am still puzzled as to why the plant has lost its vigour in growing.
confused.gif

Now to keep my fingers (and toes) crossed!!
tounge.gif

cheers & Merry Christmas one & all
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

bill

"Summer is a'coming" I wish...

Hi Bill,

I haven't seen a damage like yours on any nepenthes up to now. If you are sure you don't have changed light levels by much in the last time my guess is a fungus living in your plants. Especially the last picture doesn't look like sun burn. Nepenthes are not harmed by a fungicid from my experience so you might consider spraying the plants affected if everything else fails.

Good luck!

Joachim

Hi Joachim
Since moving the maxima indoors the damaged pitchers are dried up completely (not surprised at that) and the brown dry patchs on the leaves have spread. On the positive side the most recent leaf on the main stem still looks heathly and the next leaf is starting to unfurl. Will spray as a precaution anyway.

While examing the plant a small green offshoot became detached, so have potted that up. So hopefully I will still have a maxima by next summer
wink.gif

Still puzzled as to why this previously robust plant has suffered so much in a so far fairly mild winter
confused.gif

cheers

bill

Hmm looks like rust spot fungi to me. I would give it a good coat of fungicide.

Back